Chapter 23 Dragons Resurrected

Rona's dreams were filled with the nightmarish figure of a vicious black dragon consuming the souls of men all around her. She cried out, shouting, doing everything she could to defend them to no avail when the beast flew down upon her -

"Wake up! WAKE UP!"

Rona's eyes snapped open to the sound of Bishop's urging as he shook her shoulders. He was fully dressed and had a look of sheer terror on his face, something she'd never seen from him before.

"Gods, woman you sleep like the fucking dead - we have to leave now!"

"What?" she mumbled in sleepy confusion.

He threw her clothes at her and tossed dirt on their campfire to put it out. She realized it was still night time when the flames went out and everything fell into complete darkness. Bishop was in a hurry to go, grabbing their things as the sound of a dragon's roar pierced through the skies - alarmingly close. Rona started moving at break-neck speed, pulling her underwear, dress, and boots on and clamoring to find their things. The roar was over their heads then and the ground shook under their feet as the dragon flew directly over them. Bishop pulled Rona to the ground covering her, but no flames sprayed around them.

They watched as the beast flew over to the burial mound, hovering over it and speaking loudly in dragon's tongue. Bishop climbed off of her and pulled her to her feet and continued running around the camp, grabbing their things, "Shit! The horses ran! Fuck!"

Rona stared off at the creature illuminated by the moonlight as it spoke deeply, "Vuljotnaak! Ziil gro dovah ulse!" The mound of earth shone with an eerie force of light shooting into the sky.

The dragon flew around it once before shouting a devastating whirl of light against it, "Slen Tiid Va!"

The earth rumbled, throwing them off balance and the burial mound exploded, spraying gravel everywhere. She went pale, unable to turn away from the sight before her as the bones of a dragon pulled itself from the ground, clawing its way to freedom.

Bishop stood by her, watching and trembling with fear. He grasped at her arm, gripping her tightly. He was not afraid for himself, but for her, knowing what she would do.

The dragon's bones looked to the sky at his fellow, as its flesh regenerated through fiery light to its body. He spoke thickly, "Alduin, thuri! Pogaanbok lost vod naal?"

"Geh, Vuljotnaak, kaali mir."

The wind whipped up around them as the sounds of spirits cried all around them,

(The Song is The Promise by Within Temptation)

"Where are we now?"

"We're almost in heaven."

The souls of dead soldiers appeared, wandering aimlessly around looking lost and terrified. Then Jillian illuminated before them, waist length, raven hair sweeping through the night as she gazed across to the ghostly figure of a man. She reached out for him, unable to grasp him. The black dragon looked to them and growled deeply before he stomped down to the ground crushing the man's spirit under him.

He roared at her, but when she did not move, he cocked his reptilian head, intrigued and uttered, "Dovahkiin..."

The rumbling of drums and strings sawed in the air.

She stared down the twisted black dragon before her, drawing a glinting great sword from her back. Her voice rang high and furious, her song one of hatred and vengeance.

"On behalf of her love
She no longer sleeps
Life had no longer meaning
Nothing to make her stay
She sold her soul away

I held you tight to me
You slipped away
You promised to return to me