Chapter 73 The Dragon Scholar

They didn't stay in Whiterun for too long. It was still early in the day and they wanted to get moving again. Riverwood was only an hour's ride away and Serlas was also eager to speak with Delphine and see what she knew about the man the Thalmor were desperately searching for.

The three of them said their farewells to the sisters four and the Companions. Nelkir gave Rona and Bishop big hugs and said, "When am I going to see you again?"

Rona sighed knitting her brows together, "I don't really know. We're getting that much closer to finding the Elder Scroll so I can finish my journey and we can't stop now."

"Promise you'll come see me first before you fight Alduin?" He pleaded.

Rona squeezed him a little tighter and said, "Absolutely! I promise not to go run off and battle the World Eater before I come see you again."

"I can help you know," he said.

She smiled at him, running a hand through his short hair, "I know. Take care of yourself Nelkir." She gave him a kiss on the head.

Bishop pat him on the shoulder and said, "Watch Vilkas' back while you're out there kid." Nelkir grinned at him and they parted. They rode very quickly to Riverwood, hardly speaking at all and focusing their attention on the task at hand. They would talk once they were in the safety of the walls of the Sleeping Giant.

Upon arrival they were greeted by a very thrilled wolf. Bishop leapt off of Misty and ran over to his old friend letting Karnwyr pounce on him and knock him over to lick at his face. He just grinned and stroked the wolf's fur, rubbing his ears and said, "You won't believe it boy, met up with Freya and the others again. Gonna have to take you to see them sometime."

Rona and Serlas both dismounted their own steeds and Karnwyr leapt off of Bishop to greet her nearly knocking her over too, as he threw his paws over her shoulders. She gave the old wolf plenty of head scratches in his favorite spots right behind his ear and on part of his neck. "Missed you too Karnwyr," she crooned at him.

He fell off of her and got so excited he started running around in circles chasing his tail but then he saw the local dog and ran over, barking, to play with him instead.

Bishop scoffed, "Pft, so easily distracted."

"Always," Rona agreed with a laugh. They walked into the Sleeping Giant and found Orgnar in his usual place behind the bar, fixing a drink for the drunk Embry. He lowered his eyelids partway at the sight of them all.

"Afternoon Orgnar," Bishop grinned, greeting him.

Orgnar motioned his head to Delphine's room and said, "She's been gettin' antsy waiting around for you all. Better hurry on in before she comes up here and tells me to sweep the entryway again."

Bishop looked down at the entryway, which was covered in dirt and leaves and cocked a brow at the bartender, "Did you actually sweep it?"

Orgnar grunted, "Nope."

Rona laughed a little and hurried along into Delphine's room with Bishop and Serlas hot on her heels. They found Delphine with her back to them, stooped over a map of Skyrim and a bunch of papers and a few books. She was leaning with her forehead in hand and rapping the table impatiently with her fingers. She heard them come down but mindlessly said, "Not gonna tell you again Orgnar. Finish sweeping the entry and make sure you send that order slip off with a courier, we're almost out of ale again. Damned Embry drinking the place dry...don't know where he's getting the gold to pay for it all."

Bishop said, "Probably my fault, I paid him a little too much for watching our horses last time."

Delphine jumped and spun around, clutching a hand to her sword hilt, "Gods! Don't scare me like that!"