Chapter 72 Beauties and the Beasts

Bishop took a bite of his sweet bread, a piece of it fell to the floor and Rona knelt down to pick it up when he said, "Just let Karnwyr get it."

She laughed, "He's not here, remember?"

"Oh yeah," he said, "Damn... starting to miss the old boy."

"We'll see him soon," she smiled.

"Yeah, him and Delphine too. Bet she's just itching to get those papers from us," he took a drink of milk from his glass and Rona picked at her partially eaten omelet with a fork.

"Did you read all the dossiers?" She asked him.

"Most of them, I think I missed one of them. It was back in the hideout right after you killed that dragon."

"Ata was saying that the Thalmor want to keep the war going," she leaned on the table, head in hand, still prodding her food, "I don't get it. Why would they want the war to continue but at the same time want me to end it?"

He swallowed a bite of sweet bread and looked at her with a troubled expression. She studied his face and asked, "What? What is it?"

"You should read it yourself," his eyes darted away, "It's not good Ladyship. The Thalmor are some nasty bastards."

"Tell me."

He took a breath and sighed, "They want to use you because of your lineage and your status as Dragonborn. The people of Skyrim, they respect you, for the most part you know? You're pretty much friends with people from both factions at this point."

"So? What's that got to do with anything?"

"If you end the war in favor of the Imperials then that just cements the Empire's and by extension, the Dominion's reason for being here. On top of it, with you ending the war, being considered a legendary hero and all that nonsense, people will take it as fate or destiny or something. You're an authority figure to most people now, whether you like it or not."

She frowned and stared down at her plate, running her hand through her hair some more, "I'd rather not be..."

He took another big bite of his bread and said through a mouthful, "Yeah and we'd both rather you not be the Dragonborn, but," he shrugged, "what can yah do."

"Maybe I should just end the war," she mumbled.

He went wide eyed, mouth full and barked, "NO!" Bits of bread landed on her plate.

She cocked a brow at him, "Why not?"

He covered his mouth and finished his bite and said, "Uh... well that's the other part Ladyship. See once you kill Alduin and end the war," he hesitated and looked grim, "they're going to try and kill you."

She blinked.

"They want to turn you into a martyr," he explained, "It would give the Dominion even more reason to come trampling in here, bringing war to the Stormcloaks and essentially dominating the country. You know 'cause you're..."

"Half altmer and the Dragonborn," she sighed and leaned back in her chair throwing her hands up, "Great!" She crossed her arms and grumbled to herself.

He smirked a little and said, "Glad to see you're taking this so well."

"Just add it to the list of people and things that want me dead," she raised her fingers for each one, "The Thalmor, the dragons and even the Stormcloaks now... speaking of. Do you really think it's safe for us to go back to Whiterun? I didn't exactly leave on good terms."