Chapter 44 Shared Pain

They followed the edge of the lake, heading towards Riverwood. It'd be hours before they got back to Whiterun. Bishop trailed along behind the old man, looking sour and feeling disgruntled.

Kodlak seemed to almost have a skip in his step as he trod along the path, then he started talking and Bishop just rolled his eyes.

"I can finally die a true warrior, having killed a dragon," he continued looking forward as he spoke, "Though I don't know if my heart could stand it a second time."

Bishop ignored him. Staying silent, still angry at him.

And yet he kept right on talking, "I'm surprised you joined me in battle young blood. You could have easily been rid of me if you truly wanted."

Bishop groaned loudly, letting his frustration be known.

Kodlak chuckled, "My son was that way too. Never wanted to talk to me. I could go on for hours though, just to bother him."

Bishop picked up his pace and stepped in front of Kodlak forcing him to stop, "Let me make something clear to you, old man. I don't care about you, or your past, or whatever the hell you think you're trying to accomplish by acting like you're my father and I'm your replacement son," he snarled, his brows hovering harshly over his golden eyes, "You want to know something about me? I killed my father and I don't regret it for a damn second. So if you don't want to end up just like him, you better shut your damn mouth."

Bishop turned away and Kodlak said, "I suppose we have that much in common at least... I killed my son."

It was like punching him in the gut. Kodlak had to be lying, saying whatever he could to try and relate to him. Yet he sounded... sadly sincere.

"None of my business," he said and kept walking.

Kodlak was quiet the rest of the way. Bishop didn't know what to think. Though he even found himself wondering what exactly happened to the old Companion to make him kill his son. He crossed his arms suddenly and scoffed at himself as they rounded the bend leading down to Honningbrew Meadery. Kodlak's brows raised at the sound, but he said nothing else. Bishop couldn't believe he was doing this. Wondering about this stranger's past. Wanting to know. This was something Rona did, not him.

Karnwyr came rushing across the field towards them as they approached Whiterun Hold and he realized the damn old boy had disappeared during their fight with the dragon. He was utterly surprised when the wolf padded up to Kodlak first and licked at his hand.He shook his head. Rona had completely spoiled the wolf. He might as well have been a friendly stray now. That's what he tried to tell himself at least.

Kodlak chuckled at the wolf and said, "Such a good companion you have."

Bishop clicked his tongue, getting Karnwyr to come over to him. He knelt down and grasped his ears, scratching them and smiling down into his face as he licked Bishop on the cheek and nose. "He seems to think we're pack mates," Bishop said, with a friendlier tone now that he'd calmed down a bit, "He's like a brother to me."

"I can see that. He's been with you since he was a pup," Kodlak guessed... it had to be a guess. How else could he know that?

"Yeah," Bishop said slowly, "He's not always this friendly. He's still got a wild animal in him somewhere... I think."

Kodlak said, "Probably just getting to be an old wolf now. We tire with age you know. No strength to carry the weights of our pasts or hold onto old grudges anymore. It's all about learning to let go of the anger and finding peace before our time comes."