Chapter 24 Brigands Abound

(*velvyn - daughter, *velvynen - my daughter)

-------------------------------

Rona held onto her father and cried into his arms like a child, rambling in Aldmeri to him.

"(Father, I've missed you! So much has happened, I don't even know where to start - The dragons! There've been so many dragons! And the Greybeards and Ulfric Stormcloak), " she gasped, "(and Bishop! Augh! He makes me so angry! But I'm so glad you're here... wait)," she stepped back a moment, "(when did you get here?)"

He looked down at her with mild amusement, caressing her hair from her face "(Please slow down, daughter. Let's sit inside and discuss things at length. I too have much to tell you.)"

Illia smirked at them and returned to tending her garden, leaving them be to catch up. As soon as Rona entered into the cottage she looked all around, astonished at the transformation. Everything was mended and so clean! The great room which once held her mother's bed was now fitted with comfortable living furnishings. There was a crackling fireplace against the back wall, the kitchen was a bit larger and a bigger dining table, with enough seating for six, had been placed in the enlarged nook with shining windows overlooking the garden.

"It's so different," she gaped at it all with awe.

"I hope it is a good different," Serlas smiled, "When I arrived I met Illia who'd done a fine job of adding onto the home and repairing it. I offered to help furnish it."

She beamed at him, "(It's beautiful father. It feels like a real home now.)"

"(Shall I give you the tour?)"

"(Yes!)"

He showed her the ground floor rooms, the one nearest the kitchen, facing the road was Illia's room, a quaint space she'd filled with flowers and plenty of alchemist's ingredients. On the other side near the entryway and connected to the porch was the main guest room which Serlas said Rona could make her own. It was the same size as Illia's room, but simpler and unused with a medium sized bed and two dressers on opposite walls and another door leading out to the porch. It was very cozy.

He then led her upstairs to his own room which was nearly as large as the great room below and resembled his living quarters in the Mage's Guild. He had a very long bed to fit his height pushed against the back corner, an enchanting laboratory and walls and walls of books. There were two desks on opposite sides of the walls, one of them facing some windows overlooking the lake beyond, the other against a solid stone wall, facing the mountainside and surrounded by shelves full of old scrolls and tattered books. In the middle was a quaint sitting area with three cushioned chairs and a few tables with books piled up on the tables and sitting in stacks next to the chairs. He'd gone and moved right in it seemed.

She laughed at him, "Ata if I didn't know any better I'd say you were living here now."

He chuckled, "Well I have been for the last two months, ah! But before I go on I must show you my pet project."

They went back downstairs and he showed her to a door leading to the back of the cottage, which she thought was odd considering the cottage was built against the mountainside so everything beyond was all rock. When he opened the door Rona was floored.

Inside was an expansive space, built directly into the stone. The walls had been carved out into trenches to allow a natural spring to run through while aquatic plants flourished along the planters. There was a desk space next to an alchemy lab with shelves upon shelves of potions, brews, and elixirs. He'd even built a small library into the room, the walls lined with bookcases ten feet high, a ladder leaned against them.