Chapter 6

A few hours later, Max and Duke were sitting in front of the door, patiently waiting for Katie's arrival. "Where is she?" Max groaned for probably the twentieth time in under ten minutes. A smile spread across Duke's face as he tried to not laugh. However, he was slowly losing the battle. Fortunately, before the giant mutt burst into laughter, the two dogs could hear footsteps outside the door.

"KATIE!" Max and Duke yipped at the same time, barking happily as their owner opened the door. "There they are!" Katie cried, getting down on her knees and wrapping her arms around the canines, adding, "Max and Duke. Duke and Max. My boys! How'd it go? Great, right?! I am so happy this worked out." Looking at her dogs, she continued, "So... who's hungry?"

Minutes later, the trio were on the fire escape, admiring the Manhattan skyline

Minutes later, the trio were on the fire escape, admiring the Manhattan skyline. Max and Duke laid their heads on Katie's lap, in which she in return ruffled their fur gently. "Welcome home Duke," Max spoke to his new roommate. Smiling warmly at the terrier, the mongrel replied, "Thanks Max." Without another word, the pair glanced back at the glowing lights of the city...

" Without another word, the pair glanced back at the glowing lights of the city