Chapter 36

"I am literally never gonna be clean again!" Max cried as he and Duke were washed away by the sewer water. Both were trying to hold on to a tire that they had found but the terrier kept losing his grip. Suddenly, the two dogs felt a strong current tugging on their fur. The next thing they knew, they were dragged under water and sucked into an underwater pipe. Minutes later, they were shot into the Hudson River.

Resurfacing, Max coughed out water. Looking around, his heart plummeted when he couldn't see his brother. Before he could panic though, Duke came up to the surface. "We have to get to shore!" Duke cried. "But I can't swim that well!" Max replied, struggling to do a doggie paddle. Swimming up to the terrier, the giant mutt barked words of encouragement to him. Just then, a ferry came by. "Come on!" Duke yipped, climbing up onto the back.

Max was about to join his brother when he lost his footing and fell back into the water

Max was about to join his brother when he lost his footing and fell back into the water. Coughing, he frantically tried to swim back. But he was losing energy. Thinking quickly, Duke dived in and swam against the waves towards his brother. Grabbing his scruff, he carried the terrier back towards the ferry, fortunately catching up to it.

Climbing aboard, Max shook his wet fur as he panted, "Thanks Duke."

"No problem," Duke replied. Looking around, the mutt pointed out, "I think we're heading towards Brooklyn!"

Smiling, Max replied, "You'll be reunited with your owner before you know it Duke."

"