Chapter 19

The pets quickly huddled together after the strange voice spoke. "Uh, who said that?" Chloe asked, looking around. Unsure, Buddy and Sweetpea glanced down at Pepe. "Wait!" Mel exclaimed, "Are you my conscience?" Everyone glared at the pug. Just then, the voice answered again, "Uh... yes, I'm your conscience. We haven't spoken for awhile. How are you?"

"Hungry," Mel answered truthfully.

At last, Gidget's eyes laid on a crudely made shed in the one corner of the rooftop. Regaining her composure, she recalled what the voice had said earlier. "You can help us?" she asked, slightly unsure. The strange voice spoke again, "Of course. Just come inside the dark and foreboding shed and we'll discuss, face to face."

"Conscience, you sound very wise," Mel remarked. Buddy and Sweetpea shared a look of concern while Pepe trembled in fear.

Delighted, Gidget was about to walk up to the shed when Chloe got in her path. "Gidget, I've got a really bad feeling about this whole thing. Maybe we should just go," the cat hissed through clenched teeth. She signaled with her tail for the others to back away towards a nearby exhaust. Huffing, Gidget retorted, "This stranger sounds friendly enough for me. Plus, we need all the help we can get." Without another word, she sidestepped around Chloe and headed towards the dark shed...

" Without another word, she sidestepped around Chloe and headed towards the dark shed