-four-

I answered the phone as soon as it rang. 

"Hey, what's up Ashli?" 

"Hey, I heard what happened on the car ride home. You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just a little taken aback from what happened. I just didn't expect her to do that. I mean, we just met yesterday."

"Well, I told you she's a bitch. She doesn't like him talking to other girls besides her." 

"What's her problem? I was just trying to make conversation with her at the game." 

"I don't know but if Cody doesn't do something about it, I'm confronting him."

"Oh my God. Please do." 

We both laughed over the phone. 

"Aubrey, if I'm being completely honest, I think you'd be the perfect girl for Cody."

"What? No. No way. I mean, we're friends. He probably doesn't even think of me like that."

"You have no idea. As soon as my mom told him you were coming to visit, he got so excited. Like more excited than him getting to see Melyssa."

"Probably because I haven't seen him since like high school." 

"Maybe. But I mean, I haven't seen him this happy in such a long time. Aubrey, he's happy with you, not Melyssa."

"It's not like I can do anything about it right now."

"I'll talk to him. I'll catch you later." 

She hung up and I set my phone back down on my nightstand. I finished my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I decided I would watch some Netflix on my laptop to try to forget what happened with Melyssa. I grabbed my college hoodie from my suitcase and put it on. 

I grabbed my laptop from my backpack and got onto to my bed. I got under the covers and adjusted the pillows so I could be more comfortable. I opened my laptop up, went to Netflix, and decided to watch Gilmore Girls. It was a show that made me laugh when I was down.

After a couple episodes, I must've fallen asleep because when I woke up it was sunny outside. I checked my phone and I had a couple of missed calls. It was 10 AM. Since I had slept in my hoodie, I woke up sweating in it.

I checked to see who called me so I could call them back. Some were from Ashli. Some from Cody. One from my mom. 

I texted Ashli to see what was up. 

AUBREY
Hey, sorry I fell asleep. What's up? 

ASHLI
Just wondering if you wanted to go to tonight's game? 

AUBREY
Oh, hell yeah. Well, as long as Melyssa isn't there.

ASHLI
Don't think so. Cody and Melyssa argued all night over the phone. 

AUBREY
Tell me all the deets later because I am so going to the game. 

ASHLI
Yay! Come over a little early so we can talk!

AUBREY
2:30 sound good? I'm getting lunch with my mom so I can come over right after? 

ASHLI
Yeah, sounds good!

Then I texted Cody to see what he wanted. 

AUBREY
Hey Codes! You called? What's up?

CODY
Just wanted to see if you wanted to get dinner after the game? I want to talk. 

AUBREY
Yeah, sure. 

CODY
Meet me at the warning track near the tunnel.

I put my phone back on the nightstand. I stretched my whole body, yawned, then got out of bed. I looked in the mirror.