- twenty five -

I woke up to the bright light of the living room shining in my face. Then, in the doorway, there was a figure. I couldn't quite make out who it was. I rubbed my eyes.

"Chris?"

"Hey, I'm just comin' in to check in on ya. You feeling any better?"

"Yeah, for sure. My headache is basically gone. And I don't feel like shit anymore, so there's that," I said, now sitting up in my bed.

"Okay, I'm glad you're feeling a lot better. Uh, so, Cody isn't home yet, but I was just gonna go out and get dinner. You want anything?" Chris offered. My eyes were still adjusting to the bright light shining in through to my dark room.

"Uh, yeah, sure, that'd be great. Where are you going?" I asked.

"That burger place down the street. I forget the name."

"Oh, I know what you're talking about. Um, a cheeseburger and fries sound really good right now."

"Okay, I'll be back in ten. Just take it easy 'til then, okay?"

"Yeah, of course. Oh, and thank you so much."

Chris smiled then walked away and I got out of bed, only sitting on the edge of the bed. I heard the door close. I went on my phone and onto the Find My Friends app so I could check where Cody was.

Still at the stadium.

I went to the living room, walking to the kitchen counter where my laptop is. I might as well take this time to design and create some sketches of Cody's birthday clothing line.

I texted my mom to see if the preparations and samples were ready.

AUBREY
hey, mom. just wondering, are the samples for cody's line ready?

BIRTH GIVER
oh yeah! they are ready but we just need to start designing and such. think you could do that?

AUBREY
yeah, for sure. i'll get back to you soon

I set my phone down and walked to the storage room where most of my things still were. I opened box after box trying to find my sketchbook.

"Ah, here we go," I said to myself, pulling out my sketchbook.

As I walked back to the counter, I grabbed a couple of pencils. I set them both down on the counter and opened up my laptop. I flipped to a new page in my sketchbook and began some rough sketches for some shirts and pants. I looked up some designs that would look good on Cody or designs Cody would like. Stripes? Solid colors? Heathered?

As I was finishing up one of shirt sketches, the door opened. Chris walked in, holding two bags.

He walked over to the kitchen counter and set the bags down.

"Here you go," Chris said, handing me my burger and fries.

"Thank you so much. Oh my God, I'm starving."

"Yeah, no problem," Chris said, taking his food out. "What're you working on?"

"Oh, just a little something for Cody's birthday."

"Isn't his birthday in like a month?"

"Yeah, but this present is gonna take a while to finish."

"What is it?" Chris asked.

"Okay, so, I want to surprise him with his own clothing line. You know, like clothes that he'll like with designs he likes. It'll even be sold at my mom's store."

"Woah, what? That's so cool, Aub." Chris seemed interested in this present.

"And how could I forget? I want Cody and you and the other guys to model them for the website!"

"Really? That sounds amazing!"

I took a couple bites of my burger and ate a couple of fries. Chris was basically halfway done with his burger. Chris helped me pick some designs out for Cody's line while we ate. I drew them down in my sketchbook.

I checked my phone again. I went onto the Find My Friends app to check where Cody was.

"Oh my God, Cody's literally downstairs," I showed Chris my phone.

I quickly gathered my sketchbook and pencils, and I went to put them away in the storage room. Then, I quickly closed all the tabs on my laptop, only leaving the Netflix tab open, so it wasn't suspicious.

I took a couple more bites from my burger while Chris was already finished with his.

A couple of minutes later, the door opened. It was Cody.

"Hey, babe. You were gone a while, I've missed ya," I said to Cody.

Cody walked towards me and gave me a hug. "Me too. You feeling better though?"

"Yeah. Did you eat anything?" I asked.

"No, not yet. I'm starving."

"Okay, I can make you something or I have my leftovers if you want them."

"You're a lifesaver." Cody walked over to the kitchen counter and started eating my leftovers. Cody and Chris started talking about their day and I was just listening in.

I put my hand on Cody's back and kissed him on the cheek, "I'm gonna get changed," I whispered to him.

I walked to the bedroom and grabbed one of Cody's shirts to wear as my pajamas. Cody walked in as soon as I changed. He sat on the edge of the bed and took his shirt off. I sat next to Cody.

"So, I'm gonna go to the doctor's office tomorrow and see what's been going on with my body recently. I'll be up early so just sleep in, okay? I'll probably be back by the time you're awake anyway," I told Cody.

"You don't need me to go with you?" Cody asked.

"No, it's alright. Get some rest, sleep in. Don't worry about it."

I got in bed and Cody proceeded to get changed. I went on my phone. I haven't posted on Instagram in a while so I thought I'd post a throwback photo. I vividly remember taking that photo in my dorm.

aubreymendes posted a picture

Liked by marianavicente, madisonbeer, and 73, 902 others @aubreymendes  throwin' it back to my college days as a freshman

@aubreymendes  throwin' it back to my college days as a freshman

load 18, 361 comments

@jessconte  omg you look like such a baby

@suebaaby  the glasses are ... a look

@aubreymendes  are you lying to me right now? lol @suebaaby

@shelbystripling  such a youngin'

@marianavicente  you looked better than i did in college

@codyjbellinger  we stan a scholarly sister

@claytonkershaw  at least someone went to college

@jessicaadams bestf is doing big things now !

@ashlibellinger awww, miss you girl ! let's hang soon !

@melyssaperez went to college for what? really making use of that degree huh ?