-twenty four-

Cody was on the couch in the living room playing Fortnite, like usual. I was sitting next to him, watching him play. The click and the clack of his controller. Cody was so concentrated when he played, like too concentrated. 

"Damn it!" Cody yelled out.

"Yeah, babe, there was no way you were winning that fight. Haha," I kissed Cody on the cheek and got up from the couch. "You want a snack?"

"Nah, I'm good. I'm still full from that pizza."

I looked around the kitchen, trying to find a light snack. I was really craving chocolate and pickles.         

I opened up the fridge, scavenging for pickles. They were all the way in the back. I reached my hand in the fridge and got a hold of the pickle jar. I carried it with me and closed the fridge, then grabbing the Nutella that was sitting on the counter. I grabbed a fork and knife, then made my way back to the couch where Cody was.

Cody gave me a weird look. "Pickles with chocolate?" Cody said, eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, it sounded good to me. My body was craving it or something," I chuckled. "Try it sometime."

"You're so weird but I love it," Cody replied back, not taking his eye off his game.

I started eating the pickles, smearing the Nutella on each bite of the pickle. Why have I never thought of this combo before? It's fucking delicious. Sweet AND salty.

I continued watching Cody play Fortnite. His gaming skills were horrible. Corey was basically carrying him the whole game. All Cody was doing was collecting wood and steel. This man. 

"Seriously?!" Cody yelled out. I looked up at the screen and saw that Cody and Corey had placed second.

"You'll get 'em next time, babe," I assured Cody while laughing a little bit. 

I got up from the couch, taking the pickles and Nutella with me, and walked back to the kitchen. I must've eaten at least three pickles while Cody was playing. I placed everything back where I found it.

Suddenly, I started getting a massive headache. I placed my hands on the counter and had my head down, trying to ease the pain.

Cody finished his game and walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, you okay?" Cody asked, walking up next to me. He grabbed my waist and I looked up at him.

"Yeah, my head just hurts," I smiled. "Do you have any Advil or Tylenol or something?"

"Yeah, for sure." Cody opened up a cabinet. I heard a rattling sound. He set a small bottle down next to me and proceeded to give me a glass of water.

I positioned myself so now that my waist was leaning against the counter. I popped a pill in my mouth and washed it down with water. There was a second of silence. 

"Ugh, I feel like shit," I said. I didn't feel like I was getting sick but I just felt like something wasn't right. 

"You sure you're gonna be okay tonight?" Cody asked.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't worry about me, hun. Besides, you won't be gone long and Chris will be here if something happens."

"Okay, babe," Cody kissed me on top of my forehead and wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him back, sinking my face into his chest. I wanted to focus on something besides my headache so I decided I'd bring up the LADF gala. 

"So... the gala's coming up right?" I looked up at Cody, while still hugging him. 

"Yeah. You excited?" Cody asked, a smile on his face. 

"Yes, are you kidding? Bruno Mars is performing AND there's gonna be tacos. Oh, and of course, I'm excited to see you all dressed up." 

"Don't get your hopes up. It's just a suit and tie kinda deal." 

"You're still gonna look hot as fuck though."

"No, YOU'RE gonna look hot as fuck. Have you decided what you're gonna wear?" 

"It's a surprise," I said with a wink. 

Cody checked his watch. "Oh, shit. I should get going. Traffic is probably gonna get crazy soon." 

I let go of Cody.

"Oh, yeah. Tell Doc I say hi." 

Cody grabbed his backpack and put his shoes on. He put his sunglasses on top of his head and grabbed his keys. He opened the door and I walked him over. 

"Are you absolutely sure you're gonna be okay for a couple hours?" Cody asked again. 

"Yes, babe, now go. Drive safe." 

"Okay, okay, I'm going. I'll be back in a couple hours."

He hugged me and I kissed him goodbye. I closed the door. 

As I was walking to the couch, Chris walked out of his room. 

"Hey, Aub. You okay?" Chris asked. 

"Oh, hey," I greeted Chris. "Yeah, my head just hurts." 

Chris had sat down on the couch next to me. I looked up at him and smiled. 

"You don't look too good. Aub, drink some water. Take a nap."

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea right now," I said. I got up, rubbed my eyes, and went to the kitchen for some water. I chugged about half a water bottle before heading to the bedroom. 

Before I walked in, Chris stopped me. 

"Aub?" 

"Yeah?" I looked back at him. 

"Go see a doctor, please. I'm kind of worried about you. You know, with what happened a couple days ago." 

"Yeah, I will. And thank you. It's just been a stressing move, you know?" 

"Yeah, I understand." 

"Oh, and thank you for not telling Cody. I don't want to worry him. Not right now." I'll tell Cody soon. After I see the doctor. 

"Of course, Aub. And if you need anything, just holler." 

"I will, I will."

I got into bed after talking with Chris, not even bothered to change. I only closed the door about halfway so some light could peek in. I didn't want to feel alone in this bedroom either. 

I was hoping that this nap would help get rid of my headache. I felt drained, tired. In pain. So, I fell asleep. 

authors note: hey guys! don't be surprised that im not updating as often anymore lol. now that ill be a senior, i have to do a bunch of stuff during the summer sooooo bear with me. theres still so much of this story i want to write so stick with me ! its a slow work in progress , im sorry !