-twelve-

We were headed to the pier which was about a half hour drive. Cody's right arm was rested on the center console, with his left hand on the steering wheel. I put my left arm on the center console and linked hands with Cody. 

Cody took his eyes off the road and turned his head to look at me. 

"I think I have a crush on you, Aubrey Mendes," Cody joked. 

"Thank God we got that out of the way because this would've been awkward," I joked back. "Oh, hey. How's your family? I feel like I haven't seen them in a while." 

"You know, the usual. I barely seem them either. Cole's traveling with the team. Mom and Ashli are constantly working. Dad is just being Dad, working." 

"Okay, well, tell them I say hi. " 

"Will do. Just for you." 

"You're too sweet," I laughed. "Also, I'm gonna be super stressed packing up my stuff when I get home. Don't know how I'm gonna do it in one whole day but-" 

"Aub, let me fly with you to help you pack."

"No. I don't want to take you away from your plans. Don't you have a game that day anyway?"

"Yeah, but I can tell Doc something came up." 

"Cody, no. You're not skipping games just to help me move. I'll be fine. Don't worry about me. I'm not moving too far anyway." 

"Okay. Just keep me in the loop." 

"I will. Thank you for the offer though." 

We were nearing the pier. Cody drove to the parking area which was under the pier. He pulled up to the ticket dispenser and pushed the red button that had a faded tag over it that had the words "Push for ticket" on it. The ticket dispenser made a weird noise before dispensing the ticket. He handed it to me, probably knowing I wouldn't lose it. We drove around looking for an open parking space in the almost dark parking lot that smelled heavily of the ocean. 

We finally found a parking space when someone was pulling out just in time. Cody waited until they backed out to drive into the spot. 

I grabbed my stuff and got out of the car, Cody following behind me. Cody walked over to my side of the car and we walked to the staircase that led up to the pier. 

"Smells real fishy," Cody said. 

"No, really." 

Cody walked alongside me, hand in hand, as we walked up the stairs. When we reached the top, there was a small seafood restaurant to the left of us and an arcade to the right. We walked until we could see the ocean. 

It was kind of chilly, a slight breeze, more like. We walked more toward the middle of the pier, where it was less crowded. We carefully put our arms on the metallic railing, as we admired the ocean and its waves. 

"I'm so glad you came with me to the pier. It's just not something you do alone." I told Cody while looking at a boat that was just close enough to see without squinting. 

"Of course. And I'm glad you came with me to LA. I don't know what I'd be doing right now if you weren't here." 

We sat down on the pier, Cody dangling his legs off the pier. I asked someone walking around on the pier if they could take a picture of us, hoping they wouldn't mind. They said they would love to. I sat back down, crisscross applesauce, leaning my head against Cody's back, looking directly into the camera while Cody looked off into the distance. Cody didn't even know what was going on. He probably just thought it was gonna be just me.