Chapter 3: Superstition

It was another two days walk in order to make it to Redshire and Luna had never been so happy to see a small town before. The trip so far had been easy but the isolation was what was exhausting her. Three days of no interaction felt like an eternity to her who had constantly been surrounded by family and other breeders her whole life.

Her goal loomed ahead like a shining red beacon in an otherwise normal town.

Like many regions had been doing lately, the Anglos region had merged the local shops with that of the pokecenter and so the large modern building stood out a bit from the residential houses.

People were coming and going through the sliding doors as Luna tied up Mudsdale and locked up the cart. After putting a feeding sack over his snout she proceeded inside.

Angel followed close behind as several people gave her strange looks, some even whispering.

Luna, in her haste, had completely spaced out on some of the basic items needed for this journey.

Most everything she needed for helping her pokemon were supplied in the cart. Things such as potions, ethers, antidotes and other various useful items.

What she had forgotten were her own pokeballs as well as a fishing rod and some basic supplies such as rope and cooking utensils.

Thankfully she was given enough money to supposedly make it to the end of her journey if she spent it wisely; and although she could just have easily asked her mother to transfer her everything she forgot, she took it as a personal punishment and lesson and decided to buy her own stuff.

She looked over the rows upon rows of pokeballs. She had no idea there were this many different kinds and brands.

She must have looked anxious because a young man with a brown coat and fur collar reached up and handed her a package of 6 pure white balls in their collapsed mode.

"Always go Silph Co." He said, "they may be a little more expensive but the quality is exponentially better. You can reuse them if you end up missing or failing a capture and they have a really convenient return mechanic so they'll come back to you. I never use anything but them," he smiled as she took them and looked them over.

"Thank you so much!" She exclaimed as he nodded and walked away, the Froakie on his bag giving a single, nonchalant wave as he carried on his business.

She grabbed two more packs before moving to another section of the store.

By the time she had checked out the sun was creeping along the horizon.

"It's too late to leave just yet..." she said to Angel as she fitted her newly bought camping supplies to the cart. "So we'll just reserve a bed here for the night," she patted her on the back softly.

Luna released Mudsdale from the cart so he could graze freely in the nearby forest before going back inside to talk to the head nurse.

"Deciding to stay are we?" The nurse asked with a rehearsed smile.

"Yeah," Luna replied, "the plan was to keep moving but we got here later than anticipated and the sun's already setting. I'm afraid we wouldn't get very far."

"I understand completely, we do have a few beds still available would you like me to claim one for You?"

"Yes, please!"

With a small bow of her head she caught the attention of a nearby Chancey who squeaked in confirmation and rushed off to wheel a bed into the designated area.

"Thank you so much!" Luna said as she paid.

"Hey," the nurse leaned in, her smile turned into a form of caution and scrutiny as she whispered. "Word of advice for people around here, they're kind of old fashioned and very superstitious."