Snowday (6)

Penelope

We could help him. I could tell the girl that we don't need help. But even if I would, I don't think she would leave. She obviously has an eye for Simon.  Baz and I exchange glances while Simon looks a bit overstrained because the girl – Evie – moves a bit too close around him. She has blond long hair and wears a nice but very expensive looking blouse. I guess she's in her early twenties.

We should help him. I mean, we're supposed to cheer him up, not to make it worse through a pushy shop assistant. But maybe it does him even good – when he's forced to talk, he'll maybe get out of this silent mood.

"Why don't you try another one?" Evie says and glances at the mountain of clothes in his cabin. She picks out a white T-shirt and holds it in front of him. Simon grabs it and moves back into the changing room. Meanwhile, Baz sits with crossed legs and arms on the couch and observes the girl carefully. She leans next to the cabin now and looks at me – completely ignoring Baz. When Simon steps out again, she turns to him and smiles brightly.

"Wow," she says and Baz clears his throat again, smirking. I have to hide a giggle by imitating a cough. "You look gorgeous," Evie goes on.

"Yeah, I'm already swooning," Baz mumbles sneering and grimaces. Simon frowns at him. I desperately try not to grin. But then I spot something in the mirror behind him.

"Oh no," I cry out and jump next to him. I shove the totally confused Simon next to the wall and lay an arm around his back, trying to look relaxed. Baz and Evie look at me like I'm crazy.

"This," I say, tugging at his T-shirt, "this is too...too tight. Yeah... Nope. Way too tight. And...err...the colour. Doesn't fit his skin tone, does it?"

"Well," Evie says and comes a step closer. I push Simon a bit farther against the wall. "I don't think so. And ..."

"No!" Baz jumps to his feet. He finally got it. "It's horrible. Totally ugly!"

Simon wrinkles his nose at him. He still doesn't get it. Instead, he opens his mouth to complain, but I tighten my grip on his shoulder to make him shut up.

"Why don't you search for another one, Evie," I say with a sweet voice. "Maybe a darker colour."

"And a larger size," Baz continues nodding and directs her to the clothes racks. She's still confused but leaves, her glance shooting curiously over the three of us.

"Merlin, Penny! What was –," Simon starts as soon as Evie is out of hearing range. Baz immediately bursts into laughter.

"Your wings, Simon! They are visible through the thin white cloth," I whisper while I'm shoving him back into the cabin. Baz (still giggling) already has slid his wand out of his sleeve. (Typical. The arrogant twat. I mean it must be super uncomfortable having a stick in your sleeve just to show off. In those cases, I'm glad of having my ring.)

"There Is Nothing to See Here," Baz speaks and tips with his wand against Simon's tiny wings. Simon sits down on the bench next to the pile of clothes and sighs.

"Do you want my assistance, Snow?" Baz asks him with raised eyebrows.

"I'm an adult, Baz. I know how to dress myself," he answers grumbling.

"That's not what I meant," Baz replies right in the second Evie comes back.

"I found a new one," she says smiling. "Want to try it? Maybe this will suit your girlfriend better?"

"Oh, no," I respond hastily. "I'm not his girlfriend. Actually –"

"You aren't? My mistake." The smile on her face grows. I wait for Baz or Simon to spit it out, but neither of them says something. Baz just swallows (to suppress a giggle, I'm sure), steps out of the cabin and closes the curtain in front of Simon.