CHAPTER TWENTY: "Goodbyes After Great Times Are Soul Tearing,"

“Goodbyes After Great Times Are Soul Tearing,” It Was Overly Melodramatic In The Movies, So I’d Thought.

Kate Adams

We were at McDonald’s.

Call me crazy or childish, but I loved this place to bits.

And plus, it was half an hour drive from our house, so McDonald's was pretty rare for us. Shame there was no other branch anywhere near our house.

Real shame.

Shawn had already gotten out of the car and was now standing in front of me, the car door wide open, holding his hand out for me to take—just like a gentleman. I bit on my lower lip, looking up at him. I was so shocked/surprised—it was a mix of the two—that I hadn’t even known when he was out of the car and there, in front of me.

The place was in full swing, even though it was three in the morning. Three in the morning, I repeat and McDonald’s was still open, in full swing?

Unbelievable!

I rubbed my eyes to make believe what I was seeing, but afraid that the whole image in front of me would break and a dark, shut store would appear in my sight. That didn’t happen and nothing could match my joy right now.

Looky here, I know McDonald’s isn’t the best place in the world for a first date or whatever this was but different people have different taste and mine was this. Deal with it!

Besides, it had been quite long since I last came here. I placed my hand into his and stepped out of the car. My face might have looked neutral but trust me, I’m screaming right inside me. He shut the door behind and walked me towards the place.

He pulled open the door and stepped aside, gesturing his arm as for me to go in. the rush of artificial air in the place hit my face. I felt a thousand times cooler than I was in the car. I stepped in and waited for Shawn as he pushed the door close so it wouldn’t make a banging noise.

Honestly, once entering this place, you couldn’t say it was three in the morning. Even if you knew it was, the place was filled just like it would be at seven in the evening. The place was much lively than I was back at the apartment, and that’s saying a lot considering I-could-be-dead-and-no-one-would-notice kind of bored. In simple words—I was drop dead bored.

Shawn started looking around while I was just to astonished seeing the crowd at this rate at this time, in the morning, or consider it middle of the night. He was probably looking for a table which we couldn’t fine since the place was so full. Then few seconds later, a waitress, must be like, in her late teens, with long jet black hair tied tightly behind in a ponytail, she had this huge electric blue eyes, approached us, “how can I help you?” she must’ve spotted us searching for a table.

Shawn slid his hands in his front pockets, his thumbs hanging out. “A table for two please,” he said politely.

“This way,” she said, swinging her arm towards the table. We spotted an empty table at the corner of the place, with a window behind. Oh, I loved window-side tables. She guided us through the tables filled with people—some were loud groups of friends, while some were gentle couples.

She handed us the menus and stroded away to wait the other tables. “I can’t believe this place is open at this hour of the day,” I blurted out before I could stop it from coming out. It must’ve seemed to people that I was at McDonalds for the first time ever. I know, but really, would you expect places like McDonalds, Pizza hut or CCD open all night long?