CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: Drowning Hopes And Fighting Lives.

Shawn David

“I’m sorry but we haven’t received any female survivor from the crash.”

It seemed just so impossible to forget that bunch of words. It was coherent sentence, but it just broke me into tiny pieces. My hope, into even more tiny pieces. It hurt so bad to know something that might change everything. I never imagined attending a funeral any time soon that consisted of one of my friends in a casket, let alone the love of my life.

I felt tears prick to my eyes. Honestly, I was surprised I wasn’t bawling my eyes out, sprawled on the floor in the middle of a hospital. That was something I was expecting. I was ever good at hiding emotions. I couldn’t keep them inside me and Carl knew about this. He always asked me how did I hide my feelings for Kate for almost three years. I didn’t have the answer to that either, so well, I was surprised. She must’ve been pretty blind not to notice maybe, since all of the other did. I mean, Jake did too, and he’s known me for only a month.

My heart shattered at the possibility of never seeing her again, alive. Her smile, her eyes, that were such chocolate filled that made you want to get lost in them and not regret. She plump lips, that were so kissable, that you wound not regret if you die out of breath, just because it didn’t feel like pulling away. I swear, if breathing was not a necessity, I would have stuck a forever glued to her lips.

“Is he alright?” I heard the receptionist ask. Carl looked at me, concern flooding his eyes. He could see right through me. He was my best friend along with Jake. I wasn’t ashamed to be transparent for them, because in all honestly, Carl was the same for me. I could see right through him. Jake was a bit hard to figure out, but it’s been just a month, I’m pretty sure, he’d open up once it’s all good.

Though, Jake could read me in and out by now. It’s just amazing how he does that—seeing right through people, reading them I and out in such a short period of time in friendship. It is indeed quite amazing.

“Yeah, he’s fine. Just a bit shaken,” he said to the receptionist. “Are you sure you don’t have a Kate here?”

“Sorry sir, but I’m afraid—” she got cut off by the reception phone ringing the normal telephone ringtone. She held up a finger, letting us know to wait and answered right away.

“Okay. Yes, thank you,” she hung up the call and looked back at us. “I think there’s hope for you after all.”

My ears quickly popped up hearing her voice say that. My head snapped as well. Both, me and Carl had hope filled in our eyes. I was scared that it might shatter again, but you have to try.

I could see the same hope and fear in the wooden brown orbs of Carl. He was scared too. “There have been more survivors and quite the population is female,” she said, bringing our hope high up, “though we couldn’t get their names yet, but you might wanna go check out if you find her,” she said, with a smile tugging at the sides of her lips. It wasn’t fake, I could tell.

She gave us a list of the hospitals, that were at the outskirts of Los Angeles. Apparently, the flight had exploded when they were flying over the sea. Good thing, some of the passengers were able to jump out the emergency exits into the pool of blue coolness. The paramedics over there were actually prepared when they heard the explosive sound and therefore, they were ready with gurneys and all the needed stuff.

Now, all I can hope for was that Kate had jumped out the plane safely…?

I hope.

We went out the hospital and settled in the car. Carl wouldn’t let me in the driver seat. Apparently, he didn’t trust me with it at times like this. Honestly, I wouldn’t either. He’s the smart best buddy I have.