0.1// Chemistry

Melody woke up an hour earlier than she needed to, if she was going to be doing her makeup and hair she would have used this time to do that. But since she pledged not to dress up or wear makeup was in effect, she found herself laying around in her room until she needed to leave the house. She was wearing a pair of black leggings, a plain white baggy tee, and flip-flops. She decided to leave her hair down, she hadn't done anything to it but brush it so it was a bit frizzy. Melody was already regretting this plan, but she wouldn't tell her friends that. They'd predicted this, they also made bets on how long Melody would keep this up.

She made her way down the stairs, and grabbed an apple as she walked by the kitchen. Her parents were already at work, so she had to lock up the house as she left. She got in her car, and sat for a minute. She knew this was no time to get nervous, so she started up the car and made her way to school. When she arrived at school her eyes were locked onto the ground, she felt vulnerable and awkward without her 'pretty girl' shield. Melody felt as if everyone was staring at her (they weren't) and she couldn't wait to get this day over with.

"Can't get any worse than this," she mumbled to herself, as she put her bag in her locker. When she shut the locker door, her two friends were leaning beside her. She smiled at them and they stifled their giggles.

"You look nice today," Nikki finally said. Melody rolled her eyes and started walking to her first class. 

"Thanks Nik," Melody scoffed.

"She's joking, Mel. Good luck, we'll meet you at lunch," Autumn said, pulling Nikki away to their first class.

Melody had Chemistry first period, which she thought would be awful. As she walked up to the class, the doorway was blocked by a blonde boy, and his girlfriend, furiously making out. Melody decided to wait until they finished their business, and then walk into the classroom. Blonde boy dismissed the girl with a slap on her bum, and the girl squealed and strutted away. Melody let blonde boy walk into the room first, and she followed shortly after. The students in the class were all standing against a wall in the back of the room. She assumed the teacher was going to assign them seats.

"You're going to be assigned seats for the year, and the person you sit next to will be your lab partner. If you have any problems see me after class," Mrs. Edmund said (her name was scribbled on the white board). Melody waited to be seated, her last name was Healey so it wouldn't take long until she was in her seat.

"Melody Healey, right here," Mrs. Edmund pointed to a table in the back corner of the room. "Luke Hemmings, next to her," she finished and went on assigning other seats. Blonde boy, whose name was apparently Luke, sat down next to me and smiled.

"Hey, lab partner," Luke smirked.

"Hi," Melody said simply, and looked down at her lap. Blonde boy made her a little uncomfortable because of the scene he and his girlfriend had made in the hall earlier.

"Melody's an interesting name," Luke added. Melody looked up at him and shrugged.

"I guess," she answered, she wasn't very interested in making conversation with Luke.

"You don't have to be shy around me, Melody. I don't bite, unless you're into that kind of thing," he winked. Melody laughed, she wasn't shy, and she definitely was not into being bitten. She was about to say something, but Mrs. Edmund started going over what they would be doing in class for the year. 

Melody noticed Luke pull out his phone, and tap away on the screen the whole time their teacher was talking. Melody was in no way a brainiac or anything, but she liked to at least pay attention to her teachers because that was the respectful thing to do. Luke kept laughing at whatever he was looking at on his phone, and Melody rolled her eyes. Blonde boy was getting on her nerves. Melody looked around the room for a clock to see how much time was left in class, but she couldn't find one. She decided to take her phone out and check the time.