Chapter 18 ~ Awkward

~ Chapter 18 ~

I was just about to start talking when a higher voice interrupted.

"Justin! Ariana! Dinner's ready!" Pattie called out.

Justin sighed, clearly irritated.

"Not hungry mom!"

He looked over at me again. "You were saying?"

I realized something at that moment. What do I really know about this guy? He's the new one here and no one knows the real him. So I can't really tell if I can trust him or not. So why take such a big risk.

I looked down at my hands, they were automatically playing with each other. I always do that when I'm nervous.

"We just fought, nothing special" I said, completly ignoring the fact that I was supposed to tell him about Ted.

He looked disappointed.

"I'm kind of hungry, uhm do you mind if we eat?" I asked. I had to make this awkward silence between us go away.

He sighed but nodded. "Let's go"

I followed him out of his room and into the kitchen where Pattie was sitting alone eating lasagne.

That was actually my mom's favorite dish.

"I knew you would come, sit down" she said smiling as she put two plates on two available seets. And luckily, they were on each side of her. So Pattie sat on the end and on her right Justin was sitting and on her left I was sitting. We could still see eachother, but at least we're on different sides of the table.

I put a piece of lasagne on my plate before Justin took two pieces after me.

"So Ariana, tell me a little bit about yourself" Pattie smiled at me with her bright white teeth.

"Uhm okay. Just ask me questions and I'll answer them" I anwered, nodding my head at the end of the sentence.

"You're 18 right? After summer, are you going to study on collage?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I want to study at Stanford university. That's where my mom went" I said and smiled a little.

She looked at me with sympathy in her eyes.

"Yes I understand. Your dad told me about your mom" she said.

I bet my lip nervously. His story might be different than mine.

"He told you? What did he tell you exactly?" I asked.

Justin was now looking at me with a weird look on his face. He had lasagne in his mouth so he looked like a squirrel.

"Well, he told me that she was brutally murder but that you didn't catch the killer" she said.

I nodded. Thank lord I didn't tell Justin how she died. That would be two completely different stories.

"Yeah the detective didn't have enough evidence against the killer so they just... stopped looking for him" I said.

When it comes to this I am pro at lying, but when I tell those small white lies everyone can tell that I'm lying.

Weird? Kind of.

She nodded, not taking the sympathic look off her face. Justin looked at me in the same look.

I sighed. "Anything more you want to ask me about?"

She looked down at her food, shaking her head.

Out of the window, I saw my dad's car park outside our house. My body froze.

"I think I have to go" I said quickly, getting up from my seat.

"But you haven't eaten your food honey!"

But by then, I was already gone.