Chapter 26 ~ Brother

~ Chapter 26 ~

"I'm sorry I never called, but the days were always full and I never got the time" he said upset.

"You never had the time? Really, that's your excuse?" I frowned.

"It's not an excuse, it's the truth! And now there's the wedding and this case.." he said.

"Wedding? You're engaged?" I asked shocked.

"Yeah. I am" he smiled a little.

I just nodded.

"I heard about dad, me and the team will help you Ari. I promise" he said, now grabbing my hand and not letting go.

"Your team? It's more people that know about this?" I panicked.

I worked so hard to keep it between me, Kendall and Andrew. And now it was all open.

"The entire NYPD knows about this. What did you think, only me?" He laughed a little but froze his laugh when I didn't laugh with.

"Ryan, what exactly do you know?"

"That he was you know... beating you up every day. I don't really know anything more than that" he said.

I nodded. He doesn't know anything else. Thank god.

"I told your boyfriend if that was okay? And his mother was sitting with him, they seemed shocked" he said.

"My boyfriend? I don't have any boyfriend?" I said suspiciously.

"Who's that Justin guy then?"

This time it was my turn to have the shocked face.

"You told Justin? Are you out of your mind?!" I was close to shouting.

"He said he was a close friend! I thought he knew!" He said.

"Well he didn't" I said, crossing my arms.

Silence crossed the room.

Once again I heard two knocks on the door.

"Come in" I said.

The door opened but I didn't recognize anyone.

"Hello Ariana, I'm detective Kate Beckett. Me and my team will work on this case together. I see you already met Ryan?" She smiled.

She was pretty. Brown hair down to her chest, brown eyes and tall.

"Well yeah, he's my brother" I said.

"Your brother?" She asked as she looked over at Ryan.

We both nodded.

"He never mentioned anything about a sister to me" she said.

"And I can't even remember to have a sibling at all" I said looking away from them both.

I heard Ryan sigh.

"I'm sorry Ariana, but I have to ask you some questions if you don't mind" Kate smiled and sat down beside Ryan.

I just nodded.

"Were you and your dad close?"

I shaked my head. "Not really. We were before but that was before my mom died" I said.

"I'm very sorry for your loss. Did you know about anyone that could harm your father like this?" She asked.

I looked at her weirdly.

"What do you mean about harming him like this? He's in jail, he got himself into all of that" I said.

"Oh... Ariana haven't you heard?" Ryan looked at me worried.

"Heard what?" I asked.

"Your father was killed. We believe he was poisoned. He was served a cup of water where there was some poison that was blended in. It can't be a coincidence that it happend in jail so we will do everything we can to find this killer" Kate said.

Ryan didn't even look at me. It was like he was ashamed.

My eyes got blank.

"He's dead?" I asked, a tear dropped down on my cheek.

Kate nodded with a worried look.