Chapter 26

Anne and Gilbert entered the house. Anne immediately remembered the thought of Matthew and Marilla's bodies lying on the floor. She shook at the thought out of her head.
Gilbert noticed, and he wrapped his arms around her,squeezing her tight.
"It will be fine..." he murmured placing a soft kiss on her cheek.
They then began to look round the house.
They started in the living room. They scanned the area and looked for anything odd. They looked under the sofa and around the floor for any foot prints or clues on anyone who could have been on the scene of the crime.
Nothing.
Anne sighed and headed towards the kitchen,Gilbert following behind.
They then searched the kitchen. They checked along the surfaces for any sign of dna or any idea of the weapon used.
I wonder if it was one of our knifes?
Anne thought.
She went to look at them. She held them into the suns rays to see if anything was on the blade.
She spent five minutes checking them whilst Gilbert looked on the floor for footprints.
Nothing.
She sighed.
Then she felt muscular arms wrap around her waist. She weakly smiled. "We will find something babe" he reassured her. She nodded slowly.
"Mhm" she murmured.
"C'mon let's check the hallway" he grasped her hand and pulled her gently out of the kitchen.
They then searched the hallway leading to the scene of the crime.
They checked the walls for scraping or any signs of struggle. They checked the floor for leaves or footprints or scuffs.
Nothing.
Then they headed to the scene of the crime. The dining room.
Gilbert cautiously walked through the door. Anne halted in the door. Her breathing quickened. Her heart started palpitating. She froze. Gilbert noticed. He ran over to her. He gripped her arms softly. "You are okay..you will be fine...I'm here for you" he said running his hands up and down her arms.
She exhaled.
"I can do this." She told herself.
She pushed past Gilbert into the room.
The thought of their dead bodies immediately haunted her. She shook it off.
They started looking.
They checked round were the bodies were and they searched all the nearby objects.
Nothing.
They were just finishing when something odd caught Anne's eye.
She slowly walked over to it. It was hidden in the corner of the sofa just out of view. She reached out to grab it. It was soft and silky. When she pulled it out she gasped causing Gilbert to whisk around.
He gasped too.
"Is that...?" He asked looking shocked
"Yes" she said appalled.
In her hand was a pink silky ribbon.
"Ruby..." she murmured.