Chapter 20

I was in a field. I don't know why but it felt like I was supposed to be here. But why? "Daddy? Jadis? Anyone?" There weren't even any walkers roaming. I felt a hand on my shoulder so I turned around to see Carl. But no bandage covering his eye. Both of his eyes were gazing into mine. "Hello Athena." He smiled. "Carl?" "Last time I checked." Before I could do anything else we started kissing. We ended up laying down in the field cuddled up. "I thought you were dead Carl? I got your letter. And your dad said-" "I am Athena. You're dreaming. But that doesn't mean I'm not here. Listen, what I did to you when I was alive I am sorry, as much as Enid means to me I should never have taken her advice. When she pushed you, I should have done something to help your dad. To help you. I should have shown how much you meant to me and gone with you and your dad to The Sanctuary to make sure you were ok." I smiled and put my hand up to his face. "Don't worry about it. I shouldn't have been such an arsehole. But I never stopped loving you. I'm not going to make amends with Enid though. Not after how she treated me, how they all did. She beat me and they all blame me for your death Carl. Because I didn't stay. Is it my fault? Do you blame me?" Carl kissed my cheek. "No of course not. I may have been invisible but I was there. Even in your cell when you threatened Enid. You were right that I wouldn't agree with you but after what she did to you I don't blame you at all." We both smiled at each other and started kissing again. We sat up as we were kissing and I sat on his lap and wrapped my legs around him. "As much as I'd love to Athena, I don't think this is a good idea because we aren't alone." "Huh? What do you mean?" Carl looked behind me so I turned my head around to see what he was looking at. There was a beautiful woman standing there. She had eyes like mine and beautiful long hair too. She was wearing a pretty light blue floaty dress. I'd seen her in the photo album when I look at photos with my dad. I knew who she was. Mom. Mom held her hand out and I took it and she grasped me into a huge hug. "Hello darling." "How? What? I'm confused." Carl stood up. "We both wanted to show you that we always have been looking out for you." "But why now?" Mom kissed my forehead. "After what you've been through sweetheart. As much as we wanted to, we couldn't do anything to stop it and we saw how your father and Jadis tried to as well. Listen to me baby. Your dad is right. When you was born I knew I wouldn't be there to look after you with your dad. Your dad has done an amazing job raising you sweetheart. And I'm happy that you have a strong bond with Jadis." I could feel myself well up in tears. "I wish you were still here. Both of you." I said to mom and Carl. They both each took one of my hands. "We will always be with you sweetheart. If you feel a breeze near you when you walk, we're walking right beside you. Or if something is near your hand, we're holding it." Mom smiled. "And if you feel something gently touch your face, we're either putting our hand to it or giving you a kiss. Just because you can't see us Athena doesn't mean that we aren't with you." Carl smiled. "I've walked every step of the journey with you and your dad, darling. I'm proud of you both so much. But the killing is more than my liking. Tell your dad how proud I am of you both and how much I love you both." Mom stroked my face. "I will mommy." I felt myself cry again. Carl then took me in his arms and we kissed again. Mom smiled at me and the three of us hugged. There was a shining light and the images of both mom and Carl slowly began to disappear. I was waking up.

My eyes opened and I was sat on dad's knee cuddled up to his chest, my eyes soaked with tears. "Someone must have been having a good dream. Not one meltdown at all baby." Dad smiled and I looked up at him and he noticed I must have been crying in my sleep. "What's wrong darling?" I told him about my dream about Mom and Carl. Dad kissed my head and said "that's their way of showing you that they're watching over you baby." I rested my head on Dad's shoulder and said, "to be honest it seemed like some Michael J Fox The Frighteners shit right there." I laughed. Me and dad always loved watching The Frighteners when I was growing up. Some parts would freak me out and I'd cuddle up to dad so I didn't have to watch but I still loved the film. Dad chuckled. "Fuck your leather jacket is covered in my tears again." Dad smiled at me and said, "don't worry about that darling it'll dry." I smiled at dad and said, "daddy I don't wanna lose you." Dad put his hand on my face and said, "listen to me Athena darling, you'll never lose me. And I've got years left in me sweetheart so don't you worry. You won't get rid of me that easily." I started to cry but laughed and I cuddled up to dad and he wrapped his arms around me. "Hey, don't be silly sweetheart. It's ok. Daddy's going nowhere, you know that." I wiped my eyes and smiled up at dad. "I know daddy, it's just you're all I've ever had and got and I don't know what I'd do without you. I'm sorry daddy." "You've nothing to be sorry for baby, honestly." Dad kissed my forehead and he continued to cuddle me.