f o r t y e i g h t

"Hoonie, you have to make yourself look presentable!"

"But, mom, I'm running late! And Lin's waiting for me outside!"

"He can wait." She started to walk over to the dining table wherein she left one of her many combs. "Come here!"

"Mom, it's fine. I have short hair."

"Well, I'm not letting my son go to school with short hair that looks like a nest that was just recently trampled on by birds!"

"Fine." His shoulders slumped as he walked lazily towards where his mom was standing.

"You have to pay more attention to your appearance. You can't go around looking like you just got hit by a truck." She combed his hair aggressively.

"I prefer planes."

"You should look more presentable, especially in front of your boyfriend."

"Okay."

She suddenly turned him around and smoothed his hair. "There. Good."

"Can I go now?"

"I'll escort you to the car."

"No, it's fi–"

"Let's go!"

She pulled him harshly by the arm to the door and outside of their house, to see Guanlin looking as fancy and proper as ever. Jihoon and he were wearing the same uniform, yet he always somehow looks much more sophisticated in it.

"Take care of my son!" His mom demanded to him in a sweet voice.

"I will." He opened the door to his car, and gestured Jihoon to get in.

"Bye, mom." Jihoon turned to look at his mom, and at the exact same moment, his mom pecked him on both of his cheeks.

His cheeks turned red as he walked to the car.

"Make the most out of your last day, okay?!" His mom shouted out to him, as soon as he was in the car.

"Yeah, mom!" He shouted back, before Guanlin could get in and close the door.

"Your mom's very cheerful."

"I know," Jihoon said. "I really appreciate it, but..."

"It can get kinda cringy?"

Jihoon nodded.

"I know that feeling," Guanlin laughed, but it came out as forced.

"Hey, you okay?" Jihoon rested his palm on Guanlin's thigh.

"I'm fine," he put his lips in a straight line to attempt smiling at him and interlocked his fingers with the older's to ensure him that he was fine.

He wasn't feeling fine, but Jihoon's hand in his made everything seem like it.

As soon as they arrived in school and saw their best friends, they attacked them with a tight hug.