Part 19 (Annes POV)

A lot happened at that ball, and it definitely was not what I expected I thought to myself as I pulled a band around my dull, red braid. Gilbert had told me that one day i'd learn to love my hair as much as he did, but that day was most certainly not going to be today.

     "Anne!" I heard someone yell sorrowfully, it was Diana. I immediately turned and ran towards her.

     "Diana, what's wrong?" I asked worriedly, she burst into tears.  "What happened?" I pushed.

     "Charlie bro—broke up with me—me" she stuttered through her tears. "He had Gilbert write a letter explaining how we weren't working together" my eyes widened in shock, Gilbert? He wouldn't do that.

     "Are you sure Gilbert wrote it?" I asked praying it wasn't true.

     "Anne, he signed it" she said.

     "Let's just get to school, we can talk about all of this later" I told her.

     I saw Diana and Charlie's eyes lock as soon as she walked in through the door, but they both immediately looked away. It was as if they were both hurt, but that made no sense, didn't Charlie end their relationship?

     My eyes search for Gilbert only to find his eyes already on me. I walk over to him so I can ask about the note. "Why would you agree to it?" I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that could only extend so far.

     "Uhm" he laughed lightly as he narrowed his eyebrows in a confused manner. "I don't know what you mean" he stated. His face showed so much worry, as if he was scared I would shut the door on us again. I knew him, he wouldn't lie.

I was about to tell him I believed him when I saw Charlie walking over, the presence of his anger could he felt through the whole classroom, but . . . what reason did he have to be angry? "I thought we were friends" he stated expressionless. I assumed he was talking about Gilbert. "How could you do that, you knew how much I liked her, she— she could have just done it herself" as he said that it hit me, I was the one he was talking to.

"Did I happen to send you a letter?" Gilbert and Charlie both looked confused.

"Yeah, why are you saying it as if you don't know?" Charlie asked obviously irritated. Gilbert was still narrowing his eyebrows trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Meanwhile, all the dots were starting to connect in my head. Starting with what Josie was saying to Gil and I at the ball, to what Diana said Gil did, and now what Charlie thinks I did. We were being set up...

"Someone is setting Gilbert and I up. Whoever set us up signed our names on the letters, they want you and Diana to break up" Charlie's mouth might as well have fallen over.

"Diana ... does that mean she thinks I broke up with her too?" Gilbert and I exchanged looks as Charlie ran outside to find Diana.

"So ... we're good, right?" Gilbert asked. I went up on my toes, grabbed his face, and kissed him.

"We're great" I said with his face in my hands, when I finally let go I said "though, we still need to confront Josie." And that was exactly what we were going to do.
-
-
-
*heyyy guysss, i'm so sorry for the break, I was super stressed out and had writers block. I tried my best on this, i'm still trying to get over the whole writers block thing cuz it was really bad lmao. Anyways, I hope you guys liked it ;)*