Chapter 47

==Maddie's POV==

Wednesday morning, I slide into a seat at the kitchen table across from Cooper. He's downing a bowl of cereal and in a much better mood than he is usually in. He's been pleasant to be around for the past couple of days, strangely, and he hasn't said a single word to me to explain why.

I've decided against eating, like usual. On school days, I'm always running late and I use that as my excuse but even without an excuse today, I'm not able to muster up an appetite. If I try, I'll feel sick and my stomach will get all tight. It's a secret that I've kept from everyone, even my dad, that I can't stomach more than one meal on most days.

I don't have an eating disorder and I would eat if I could, so I don't see it as anything to worry about. I can't control it. It has to do with a deep-set anxiety that would take far too much digging and thinking to deal with, which is why I'd rather deal with an empty stomach. I know they would freak out, though, and that's more than enough of a reason for me to hide it from them.

I cross my arms delicately on top of the table and watch Cooper while he shovels the last spoonful of corn flakes into his mouth without a problem. He isn't exactly joyful, but I think this is as positive as he's ever going to get. A better word to describe him would be relaxed. At least he isn't scowling, which is more than I could ask from him. He's always scowling.

As he slurps down the remaining milk, he peers up at me from over his bowl.

"What?" He clears his throat. His spoon clatters against the bowl as he sets it back down and I scoot around in my seat.

I don't trust his good moods, seeing as they only last about 5 seconds. This one has lasted since Monday morning, but he hasn't been around me too much. I'm fully aware of how often I ruin his moods and I'd rather not spoil it now.

"I've been meaning to ask you about what happened when I went out on Sunday, but I keep forgetting," I say to him and watch to see his reaction. His peaceful expression doesn't falter.

"I told mom you weren't feeling well and that you'd eat dinner when you felt better," he explains, which takes me by surprise.

When I came home on Sunday, I had fully expected to get an earful from my mother about another punishment. I thought she would be sat in the living room waiting for me to return. But, in fact, she wasn't even home. No one was. I was safe.

"Thanks," I smile at him. He doesn't return it, shrugging and getting up from his seat. I turn around so my eyes can follow him to the sink, "What about with Lily? You ended up hanging out with her?"

There was always the chance that he could have gone out and met Milly instead and that's what scared me the most. I wouldn't be able to stand seeing him be unfaithful any more than he has. I'm far too involved in my brother's relationship issues, but it's just that watching the only healthy relationship I know crumble from cheating is constantly causing doubts about my own.

He nods, filling a glass with water and chugging it without stopping to breathe. His hair is matted down from a much needed shower and though he's still wearing old sweatshirts, he's at least decided to put on a pair of clean pants. Or at least pants that don't have visible stains on them.

Outside, it starts to rain. The weather has been pretty dreary for the past couple of days, with the seasons changing and all. It's far much colder than what I'm used to already.

Cooper's mood should change to parallel the weather when I ask him to elaborate, but he still doesn't flinch.

"I told her about Milly. She was strangely cool about it, which I guess I'm happy about. I just don't want to lose her," He forces an unconvincing smile and I get it now.