The Act

"This is dumb, I can't sing," you complained as you reclined against the cushions on your bed. Shuri sat next to you, resting her head on your shoulder, stealing the occasional cookie from your box. "The baby won't know the difference," Your mother reminded from her seat on the loveseat in your room.

"But other people will hear me," You whined. "Stop being silly," Queen Ramonda dismisses your complaints while she rubbed your ankles. "Join in when ever you feel like it," she grinned launching into an old Wakandan lullaby.

"O we, oo aninikagk aninoko wea wea. O we, oo aninikagk aninoko wea wea." Queen Ramonda's voice floated over the room as your mother joined in softly. She walked over to the bed and grabbed Ramonda's hand. Shuri squeezed your hand before joining in softly. Sighing, you sat up and joined in as well.

"Aninikagk aninoko wea wea," your voices melted in with the others. You gasped suddenly as the baby pressed his foot into your stomach. "What, what's wrong,"your mother ran to your side. You quickly grabbed her hand and pressed it to the same spot as the baby kicked again.

"I think he likes the song," you laughed as your mother's mouth dropped open in awe. Shuri and Ramonda quickly ran over to feel the kick. "Don't talk about my niece like that, she has much better taste in music." Shuri yelped as her mother pinched her.

"What better taste in music could my grandson have than traditional Wakandan music?" Ramonda rebutted. You and Shuri grinned, "Kendrick," you both replied dissolving into laughter.

Your mother rolled her eyes. She pushed her way into the bed to lay beside you. "Well, All I know is I was right, my granddaughter loves her mama's singing," Your mother pinched your cheeks.

You smiled, scooting closer to her and laying your head on her shoulder. "Thank you umama." You hummed pulling a cookie from the box.

"You're more than welcome my love," She hummed, stealing the cookie from your hand. You scoffed as everyone broke into laughter.

"Nakia, what am I going to do?" T'Challa groaned rubbing the deep creases in his forehead. "I love her, but do you see this working out? In any universe." A beat. "Nothing is falling into place. The elders still will not acknowledge your request for a divorce. She doesn't want to marry me anymore," he sighed. "Nothing is going how I planned."

"T'Challa, have faith. Bast has a funny way of working things out. She separated you two, showed me that you are not what I thought I wanted, and brought you two back together. No matter how messed up it is, and it is VERY messed up, if it is her will, it shall be done." Nakia patted the King's back before joining him at the window.

"What are we going to do about our children?" T'Challa whispered. "They are young right now. Daxulolo and Cebisa will not know the difference T'Challa, they can barely walk." Nakia replied.

"Yes, and when they are older what shall we tell them?" The king hummed. "We shall tell them, the truth. Like adults, I don't believe in hiding things from them."

"And if they don't agree with our decision? The choices we made?" T'Challa turned with fear in his voice. "It is not their place to agree T'Challa, just like it is no other adults place to feel like they have agree or understand. Just like we are treating them like adults, we are adults. And as adults we made mistakes, and determined the best solution for everyone involved, that we could determine at that moment. They do not have to agree, and they may not agree, but the only thing we owe them is the truth and respect for how they choose to feel about it. All they owe us is respect for what we chose." Nakia placed her hand lightly over T'Challa's and squeezed.

"Thank you for everything Nakia, you have given me wonderful children and I don't want you to think I am ungrateful-"T'Challa began. "I know T'Challa-" Nakia raised her hand to stop him, "but i am not the woman you love, and I am ok with that. Because you are not the man I love." She smiled sheepishly.