-35-

In downtown Heartland, it was infamous for having a garage around every corner. If you had a vehicle that needed repair, this was the place you went. Sat at on the desk of a particular garage, Rin's Auto Mobil's, was Yuri, his foot moving at a million miles a minute as he tried to convince his boyfriend he was right. "I still think I'm right," He pouted crossing his arms.

His boyfriend was currently on his back, underneath a bike, changing the oil. His dark blue overalls covered in oil and dirt from the grafting he had already completed earlier in the day. "Well, why not ask him?" He called out as he pulled himself from under the bike, his hair was blue with yellow curved bangs, though like his overalls, they were also covered in oil. "You can be honest with him. It might make him feel more comfortable knowing that another mermaid is working and living as a human."

Yuri continued with his pout, both his legs now swinging from the desk. He moved his right hand to his wrist, playing the pendant that laid there. Yes, it was true, Yuri too was a mermaid, one that had surfaced a few years before Yuya did. Though he didn't have the luxurious help from others like Yuya, well he presumed. "Maybe you're right Yugo," He sighed. "Though if he is, I'll only worry about him, you know what happens if we mate with humans."

Yugo smiled, using a clean rag to wipe his face as he sat on the desk. He knew where Yuri was going with the conversation and honestly, it was nice for Yuri to worry about someone other than himself for a change. "I understand," He assured. "You shouldn't mate with human's because you'll out live us. Which is why you won't sleep with me."

Yuri blushed deeply as he pushed his face into Yugo's. "It's not like I don't want to," He insisted. "But I want to know - I want to know that this thing called love, is real."

Yugo cupped his boyfriend's face, trying to make that sad look go away. "I know it is," He laughed rubbing his nose against Yuri's. "But I'll wait for you no matter how long it takes. I mean it's already been 2 years. What's 2 or even 20 more?"

Small tears fell from Yuri's eyes. As he lived as a human, he understood more and more why the bridge between the two races became so large. A mermaid who fell in love with a human was destined to outlive them and therefore die of a broken heart or even, in select cases, take their own lives. "Um, sorry to interrupt," The pair broke away as a regular customer came walking in with his jet-black bike. "I need someone to take a quick look at my engine."

Yugo smiled, quickly kissing Yuri's lips before turning to the customer. "Hey Crow, engine problems again?" Yugo laughed as he walked over to the bike.

Yuri knew that this conversation wasn't finished and though he didn't want to, he had to return to work sooner or later. As Yuri left Yugo noticed that sad look was still on his face. Yuri could be selfish, he knew that, but he also knew that Yuri had a big heart that was kind yet fragile. "Anyway, think you can book her in for today?" Crow asked nervously. "I kind of have a date tonight."

Yugo simply laughed as he grabbed his schedule for today. He still had the bike he was currently working on but other than that, he didn't have much else. If he finished Crow's bike fast, he may be able to lock up early. With the owner's, Rin, permission first of course. "I can fit you in after lunch," He advised. "But I think you might just need a new bike."

"Can't afford it on a part time delivery wage," Crow laughed. "So, cut me a deal?" Yugo snorted and punched Crow in the arm jokingly. "Come on, I am a loyal customer."

"Who just needs a new bike," Yuto snapped back as he wrote things in the schedule. "Alright then, come back after lunch with your bike and I'll do the regular tune up. Since you have a date, I presume all is well with your girl."

"Sure is," Crow gloated. "I'm thinking about introducing her to Martha, Afterall, I already know her brother. In fact, he's working at the same store as Yuri."

Yugo's eyes widened. If Yuya is indeed a mermaid then that would mean that his sister is also. Yugo felt his head spin a bit, Crow was about to get his heart broken, or possibly it meant that Yuya and his sister weren't aware of a human's shorter life span. After Crow left, walking his bike out rather than riding it, Yugo quickly messaged Yuri, explaining the situation and advising he needed to find out the truth and fast, or it could be disastrous for the other mermaids.

AN - I just wanted to say, I'm so glad that everyone is enjoying this story. I didn't imagine that I would get to this many chapters (and still going)

I'm so happy that this story is turning out better than I actually expected myself! A small dribble has turned into a creation I can say I'm proud of.

Thank you for the continuing support 💜