sugar // chapter 10

Maria looked at the white wall, her makeup smeared and her heart torn. "Might as well." She said with a mumble, standing up and staggering to her room. Maria looked for Hamilton's number, she knew she put It somewhere. After 30 minutes of looking, she noticed a paper between two books- that was sticking out.

Maria grabbed the paper, unfolded it, and saw Hamilton's number. She knew she had deleted the number, she thought it was a one time thing.
Guess not.
Maria dialed the number into her phone, and she called. It rang for a few moments before she heard a tired-

"Hello? Who's this?"

Maria took a deep breath, she wanted to speak, but nothing came out, it was just a quiet whimper.

"I'm hanging up."

And so he did. Maria felt the tears roll down her cheeks, as she curled up on the bed and cried again. She expected to cry more than that, but she heard the jingle of keys. 'Oh no.'
Maria thought. She knew Marie would come home sooner or later.

"Maria? I bought us some pastries! Macaroons, your favorite!" Marie commented, as she went to Maria's room with loud clacking of her black heels.

Maria sucked her breath in, as she looked back at the confused Marie, at the door. "Oh no, are you okay?" Marie said with concern, putting the bag on the floor and walking to Maria, pulling her into a hug.

"I can't do it." Maria choked out, clutching onto Marie like she was the last thing Maria had. "You can't do what?" Marie asked with hesitation. "She doesn't deserve it." Marie raised an eyebrow. "Maria-"

"Eliza! Eliza doesn't deserve it!" Maria yelled, her cries turning into quiet sobs. Marie frowned, pulling her friend into a tighter hug. "I don't know what's going on.. but whatever it is, I know you'll be okay." Marie whispered.

'No. Im not going to be okay.' Maria thought, but she didn't say any of it out loud. "Let's watch something together, yes? We can watch cheesy movies and eat the pastries." Marie commented, standing up and pulling Maria up.

Maria nodded, a small smile curling on her lips. "I can call Eliza tomorrow, and then you can talk to her." Marie explained, before she walked out of the room. "I'll be in the living room!" She exclaimed.

"Tomorrow.." Maria whispered, looking at the mirror in front of her. "Well, I suppose a little sugar didn't do anyone harm." She said, walking out of the room herself.

Though, what she didn't know, was that Maria's phone was vibrating. Eliza was calling, and she was in distress.