messes // chapter 11

Eliza desperately called Maria again, waiting impatiently as the phone rang. "..really?" She hung up the phone and sat on the bench, tapping her foot. Eliza was stuck, as in she had to transportation home. Alexander was with his friends, since he didn't even answer the phone, her sisters are off somewhere, not even they answered the phone.

Eliza called Maria one more time, hoping she'd answer.

"..Hello?"

"Maria! Oh thank god you answered!"

"What's the matter?"

"It's.. a long story, and I'm sure you don't want to listen to it. Anyway, can you.. pick me up? I'm at.."

Eliza looked beside her, to see a small ice cream shop.

"An ice cream shop.. bell road.."

"Why are you so far?"

"Like I said, long story. But if you're busy or something that's fine you don't have to pick me up-"

"No! I mean.. no. I'll pick you up."

"Thank you so much!" Eliza let out a small sigh of relief. "You're my hero." Eliza chuckled softly.

"Oh.. thanks."

She hung up. Eliza day back on the bench, looking to now where in particular.

. . .

Maria quickly stood up, scrambling to grab her shoes.
"What's the rush?" Marie asked, popping a chocolate- covered strawberry in her mouth.

"Uhm, Eliza is out there.. alone! Maybe I can speak to her." Maria huffed, grabbing her car keys and going out of the door, accidentally slamming it behind her.

"Oh my.. what a mess my dear friend is."
Maria popped another strawberry in her mouth.

Maria got into her car, quickly turning on the car. "Okay- Maybe I should calm down first." Maria took a deep breath, getting impatient rather fast.

"I don't have time to calm down."

. . .

Eliza tapped her foot, humming a tune she just made up. Eliza stood up from the bench, quietly humming the tone and dancing around, her eyes closed.

"Eliza?"

Eliza stiffened, already feeling the heat rush to cheeks as she opened her eyes. "Hey.." She sheepishly said, looking at the puzzled Maria in the car.

"Get in." Maria hummed, turning down the song that was currently playing; Alejandro.

"Right..! Right." Eliza mumbled, going over and opening the door to the passenger seat, sitting on the leather seat. She closed the door, glancing at Maria, who took off her sunglasses to look at Eliza.

"So.. what's the long story? Might as well listen since we'll be on the road for a bit."

Eliza cleared her throat- just the thought on how she got abandoned annoyed her.

"Well, Alexander..."

Maria blanked out after that, she knew it was something about Alexander. It always was. Maria listened, but only to the sound of Eliza's voice.

"I swear, he'll get himself killed one day." Eliza finished, as she crossed her arms.

Maria cleared her throat. "Ah- that sucks.. well, actually, do you want to get ice cream?" Maria honestly doesn't like coffee that much, ice cream seems like such a better enjoyment.

Eliza's eyes brightened, along with her smile. "Of course! We haven't had much time to hang out, and ice cream sounds amazing right now." Eliza chuckled, along with Maria.

"There was actually an ice cream shop back there.. but we're now far from it now."

"I didn't really notice, honestly." Maria said, tapping on the wheel.

. . .

Once at the ice cream parlor, which is called, 'treats with love', They got off of the car, Maria with her sunglasses as usual.

"What the heck, you can't look cool without me." Eliza playfully pouted, as Maria laughed and took off the glasses, handing them to Eliza.

"Wear them."

Eliza shook her head. "I was joking-"

Maria insisted. "Please, wear it."

Eliza smiled, taking the sunglasses and putting them on. "Do I look cool now?" Eliza asked, opening the door with a smile.

"Yes, cooler than me." Maria sarcastically replied, as she walked in with the other.

Eliza laughed, taking off the glasses, giving them to Maria.
They brushed hands for a second.

. . .
Maria ate her ice cream with content, loving the strawberry taste.

Eliza was also content, with her chocolate ice cream. They sat in silence for some time, it wasn't uncomfortable, it was very calming, far from awkward.

"How's life?" Eliza asked, glancing at Maria when she finished with her treat.

Maria coughed, almost inhaling her ice cream. "Oh- shit- well.. if that didn't show what my life is right now then I don't know what is."

Eliza laughed loudly, covering her mouth, and letting out a few cute snorts. Maria couldn't help but smile, laughing along with Eliza.

"You're a mess, Maria." Eliza commented jokingly.

"Indeed, I am."