dearest // chapter 27

Maria let the tears slip on her lap as she drove. She hiccuped, rubbing her eyes over and over so the tears won't blur her vision.

I knew I shouldn't have done that. Idiot! 
Maria thought, now staring at the headlight, waiting for it to turn green. When it did, once Maria started to drive again, a car from the other side sped.

Maria only noticed when she heard tires screech, metal hitting metal, and pain right through her side.

The last thing she heard was the sound of her own scream.

. . .

Eliza frantically called Maria again, and to no avail.

Oh my god, what if she got hurt?
Eliza thought, as she tried calling Maria again, but it led right to voicemail.

She then heard her phone ring, and oh, it's Angelica.

Eliza picked up, her words getting stuck in her throat.

"Eliza, have you heard? Maria got in a car accident. We don't know what her condition is, since there's so many officers and other people. But oh my god, it's horrible."

Eliza froze, her eyes widening, as the phone slipped out of her hands and right on the floor.

"No, no, no! She can't--" a sob escaped her, as Eliza crashed to the floor and cried on the floor. "No- no- oh my god, no!"

"Eliza..? Eliza..?"

Eliza couldn't hear, she was caught up in the guilt and regret of what she could've done before, that she could've stopped it.

"Eliza, listen to me, she can still be alive. We're at Cotton Rd, come quickly."

Eliza already had her shoes on. She scrambled out of the dorm, not even bothering to close the door behind her.

Oh dearest, please be okay, please still be alive.