1768 // chapter 19

Maria didn't go to her classes the next day. She tried to cover her bruises and cuts with makeup, and covered the ones on her body with extra clothing.

This time, Maria was going to try and explain to Eliza. Even if Eliza doesn't forgive her, she deserves to know what James held on the line for Maria.

Maria pulled on her blue sweater, reassuring herself one more time before heading out the door.

you broke Eliza's trust

Maria flinched, before stopping herself in her tracks.

"Maybe I shouldn't go.." Maria murmured, before a thought of that Aaron Burr popped in her head.

That's a person I know will give me advice, even it's bad. Maria thought to herself.
She went to the campus library, hiding herself in the baggy sweater that had a few holes in it.

She noticed Burr in the back of the library, on a laptop and with a few books scattered to the side.

Maria sighed and went to the back, sitting next to Burr.

"I need some advice."

It took some moments for Burr to reply, since he seemed more focused on whatever he was typing. Finally, he closed his laptop and turned to face Maria.

"I want to talk to Eliza, because.. I want to let her know what really went on."

Again, Burr took a few moments to respond.
"Well, it'll most likely depend on what her mood is when you see her."

"She seemed happy most of the time, but every time she makes any eye contact with me, she glares at like I offended her."

"Hm. I'll say you need to wait a little longer."

"Why?"

"Well, if she's still mad with you, she'll probably refuse to speak with you."

"..yeah, you're right. But I'm so impatient! It's just- there's so much that's misunderstood!" Maria practically yelled, only to be shushed by the librarian.

"It's best to wait for it." Burr responded calmly.

Maria sighed. "Okay, I suppose I can wait a little longer. Thanks, Burr."

Burr nodded and gave Maria a smile.

Maria appreciated that, because it's been a while since someone smiled at her.

. . .

It's been a month now, and Maria's bruises only grew more frequent because of James' visiting and Maria's hesitance of saying anything.

She held her breath, as she walked to the dorm of Eliza.

Dorm 1768

Maria trembled as she knocked on the door.
There was a sound of rustling, then a click! And  Maria saw Eliza.

Eliza seemed surprised, but that quickly turned into anger.

"What are you doing here?" Eliza asked, her tone full of frustration.

"Eliza, I- I came here to explain myself. Because- Because it's honestly what you think."

Eliza only huffed, about to close the door but Maria quickly stopped it with her hand.

"Please, listen to me."

Eliza took a few seconds to redeem herself.

"Fine, you can come in."