late// chapter 6

Maria ran down the halls, She was very late to her class. She burst through the door, panting heavily and red in the face. "Sorry I'm late.." Mrs. Fleming sighed. "It's fine. Don't come bursting into my class ever again." Maria nodded and sat to the only seat available. Next to Eliza. What great luck.

Eliza looked up at Maria. "Hey." Maria shyly waved to Eliza and sat next to her. Smile, Maria thought. Maria took out her notebook and started to write the notes on the whiteboard. Maria looked over at Eliza and smiled. Eliza gave a little back and continued writing. Maria couldn't help but mindlessly write Eliza's name over and over in her notebook with little hearts around her name. Maria smiled to herself. "Maria! Maria!" Mrs. Fleming yelled.

"You're late to my class and now You're not paying attention in my class!" Maria started to sweat profusely. "I...I-I'm s-sorry.." Mrs. Fleming sighed. "What is the answer to question 21?" Maria glanced at her notebook then at the whiteboard. "F-Four?" Mrs. Fleming shook her head. "Incorrect." Maria looked down. "See me after class."

Maria buried her head in her hands while Eliza looked sympathetically at Maria. Eliza wrote something in the corner of her notebook and pushed it gently towards Maria. She looked up. The note said see me at lunchtime. Maria looked at Eliza and nodded.

///Timeskip to after class///

The bell rang. Maria sat in the same spot until everyone left. She got up and went to the teachers desk. Mrs. Fleming looked at Maria with a blank face. "Let me see your notebook." Maria widen her eyes. "W-What?" Mrs. Fleming sighed. "Did I stutter?" Maria slowly took out her notebook and handed it to Mrs. Fleming. Maria watched as Mrs. Fleming opened it and looked through the notebook. "So, you have a little crush on Elizabeth Schuyler?" Maria turned as red as her dress. "N-No!" Mrs. Fleming smirked. "Really?" Maria turned even more red. "I-I.." Mrs. Fleming interrupted. "Just pay attention next time. Go get em'."

// Timeskip to Lunchtime//

Maria walked into the cafeteria, looking for Eliza. She scanned the cafeteria until she found Eliza waving her over to the table with.. Alexander. Fuck me. Maria mentally groaned and hobbled her way to the table. "Hey!" Eliza exclaimed with a bright smile. "Why did you leave early yesterday?" Maria sat down. "Uhm.. just a family emergency." Eliza nodded. "Well, I wanted you to meet Alexander! My boyfriend." Alexander looked nervous. "Hi." Maria said in a monotone voice. "Hello." Awkward silence. "Anyway! Maria, I just wanted to hang out with you more and.." Eliza trailed off before taking out three tickets.

"I got tickets to this new musical! It's called Heathers." Maria smiled and nodded. She wondered what the third ticket was for. "So, I decided we will be all going to the musical together!"

Maria and Alexander turned pale.