classic // chapter 25

After the interrupted kiss, things got awkward.
Every brush or touch felt new and exciting, every conversation had some sort of tension, something Maria couldn't exactly understand. She was falling hard, and now her feelings were stronger than ever.

Nonetheless, Maria would still cup Eliza's cheek, she would smile.

Eliza would tuck of strand of Maria's hair behind her hair, she would giggle over nothing.

Classes felt long and dragged on, especially with Maria. The thought of Eliza running her fingers through her hair made Maria squirm.

Classic.

They were half through the semester, senior year of King's College.

Maybe it would only last until the end.
Maria would think, as she brushed her fingers over Eliza's hand.

They didn't kiss, it seems like they would act as if casual touches and playing with hair would satisfy any needs.

. . .

Maria was able to get away from James, and ran back to Eliza for support. But when she wasn't there, either with her sisters or other friends, Maria would resort to dancing at the club.

"Come with me."

"Where are we going?"

"The club, y'know, the one a few blocks away?"

Eliza seemed tentative. "I dunno, those places aren't really my scene."

"Neither is fist fighting."

Eliza shrugged.

"Please, only for a few hours?"

Eliza tapped her fingers on the glass cup.
"..Fine."

Maria smiled widely and wrapped her arms around Eliza's waist, embracing her tightly. "Thanks."

"Mhm."

. . .

Maria was feeling tipsy, bringing a sober Eliza out to the brightly colored dance floor. "Let's dance!" Maria shouted, as she held Eliza's hand to make sure she wouldn't lose the other.

She don't know what you did when you come back home, she don't know what you did when out all night long, she don't know all the photos you put in your phone, but she knows, she knows

Maria danced along, being pressed up against Eliza, who felt perspiration down her forehead, dancing along with Maria.

They danced and danced until their feet felt as if they'll bleed any second. Maria giggled, now being flat out drunk.

It wasn't the first time Eliza had brought Maria back to the dorm drunk.

"Darling, when I die, you need to cremate me."

Eliza's eyebrows furrowed, placing Maria on the familiar bed. "That's not for a long time, Maria." She doesn't know that.

"But- you have to. I would haunt you forever and everrr!"

Eliza rolled her eyes. "Scary."

"But I'm serious!" Maria slurred. "If I get in a car accident, make sure you turn me into a diamond!"

"You won't get in a car accident." Eliza said, giving Maria a bottle of water.

"If I do."

"Okay, Fine."

Maria smiled. "But! I probably won't be in a car accident soon. That seems far away."

Eliza got in an anxious feeling in her gut.

"Go to sleep." Eliza murmured, rubbing Maria's arm.

"Mhm."

Eliza watched as Maria's eyes fluttered closed, the anxious feeling in her gut still prominent.

She shook her head.

"Silly me, that won't happen."

Classic.