dance floor // chapter 17

Maria held the ice pack on her cheek, sitting in stubborn silence. Burr didn't push her to speak, so they were silent. Eventually, Maria decided to speak.

"What major?"

"Political science and law, yours?"

"Whoreology."

"That's not even a thing."

"Well, now I made it a thing." Maria sneered, bringing her legs up and sitting criss cross on the bench.

"Im failing, I got caught." Maria sarcastically said, tapping the wood of the bench.

"That's too bad."

"Thanks." Maria mumbled, glaring at Burr.

Maria sighed. "Ya know, I'd really go for a smoke right now."

"Don't invite me, I'm trying to keep my lungs healthy."

"Fuck you."

"No thanks."

Maria rolled her eyes. "You're literally patronizing me when you said you'll help me."

"Well, I can't help you if you don't want it."

Maria shrugged. "I guess. Besides, what advice you'll give me enough confidence to speak in class?"

"I won't give you advice, since apparently I've been told I give bad advice."

Burr shook his head. "I'll ask a question. Do you have anyone to rely on right now?"

Maria didn't respond for a few seconds. "Not really, and I don't really need your kindness because it's clear that I break people's trust and fuck their boyfriends."

Burr frowned. "What will you do when someone finally breaks your limit?"

"That already happened." Maria mumbled, putting her feet back on the ground and kicking a rock.

"Well, I'm in the library most of the time," Burr shrugged. "You can come over if you need anything." With that, Burr stood up and walked away.

Maria kicked another rock.

. . .

I say hi, you say hi, we stay high you look so pretty, yeah

Maria danced along with the song, her cheeks red and sweat beads running down her face from the other sweaty bodies pressed against her. She resorted to dancing out in clubs, keeping her arms in the air and occasionally making out with some guy or gal.

In that time, Maria didn't think about Eliza, the piercing glares or comments that cut like glass, she thought about the temporary pleasure of being on the dance floor.

No I don't, I don't have a type, take a hint
come over tonight, take a hit you can follow my blood stream no, I don't have a type

Maria's head starting spinning again, her mind crawling back to the thought of Eliza.

Maria made out with another to take it away.

Once Maria was done dancing, every step feeling like she was stepping on needles, her makeup that was smeared because of her sweat, and her lipstick almost faded away, she made it back to the dormitories.

Maria flopped on the mattress, kicking off her heels and taking out her phone.

Fuck.

James was coming in a bit, and Maria had to look presentable. James hasn't seen Maria in a bit, only coming over to get a drink or if he was horny. Gross.

Maria scrambled off the bed and quickly touched her makeup, looking at the photograph with Eliza wearing a blue dress.

Maria smiled weakly at the memory. Eliza has bought a new dress, and she wanted Maria to take a picture of her in the dress.

Eliza told Maria to keep the picture as a joke,

'To admire me when you miss me.'

Maria laughed softly at that.

She was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard the door open, flinching at the loud bang the door made against the wall.

"Maria! Come here right now!"

a/n
forgot to add that those bits of lyrics were from Tove Lo- disco tits