almost // chapter 24

Maria was still worried from the other days injuries. She couldn't believe Eliza got wounded just for her.

"You're staying in today." Maria said, her eyebrows knit together in concern.

Eliza was about to protest, but made nothing of it. "Fine, but you have to stop looking at me like that."

Maria sighed loudly. "Geez.." She mumbled, dramatically falling on the sofa.

"Oh, calm down." Eliza smiled, patting Maria's head. "I'll stay in if I get to play with your hair."

"Deal."

Eliza's smile got wider. "Sit up." Maria sighed dramatically again, as she sat up.

Eliza sat next to her, running her hands through the soft locks of Maria.

Maria hummed in content. "Y'know, I was really nervous when you told me we had to hang out."

"You didn't have to, it was simply an invitation."

"How can I not accept an invitation from a pretty girl like you?"

Eliza flushed, accidentally running her fingers through a knot in Maria's hair.

"Ow!" Maria yelped.

"Oh- sorry!" Eliza said sheepishly, petting Maria's hair before playing with it again.

After that, it was silence. Eventually, Eliza made a bun with Maria's hair. "Done." Eliza hummed.

Maria turned around, a small smile on her face. "Thank you."

There was another moment of silence, of them just staring into each other's eyes.

Maria shuffled closer, as she curled Eliza's cheek. "Your cheek is really warm." Maria whispered.

"Mhm." Eliza responded, leaning into Maria's touch.

Maria brought Eliza closer, her hand on Eliza's waist.

Their lips was just a centimeter away from each other. Maria could smell Eliza's cherry scent, and Eliza can smell the amber and vanilla scent Maria has.

Right before their lips can touch, a loud knock on the door quickly torn them apart.

"UmI'llgetitexcuseme-" Eliza said quickly, jumping up and walking to the door, opening it.

Eliza didn't see anybody. She glanced down to see a package. "Oh." She mumbled, slightly aggravated by the fact some person just interrupted them.

Eliza picked it up, and placed it on the counter.

"What is it?" Maria called out her, cheeks still a bright pink.

"A package." Eliza mumbled.

They almost kissed.

"Maybe next time." Eliza mumbled to herself.