Chapter Two

Matt couldn't get his mind off of Mel all night. It was very difficult for him to focus on the company before him. He fought like hell to keep his eyes away from the area he last saw Mel. Twice he imagined a feeling of piercing blue eyes look his way. Matt felt giddy for the most part. There were plenty of other conflicting feelings, but he felt as though as something amazing had just happened. Was this what meeting your soulmate felt like?

No. He couldn't go there. Not this soon. Lucas told Matt that he might as well be a hopeless romantic. A day dreamer. Mel just screamed the word: perfection, but maybe Matt was letting his imagination get the best of him.

Audrey unhooked her arm seconds after Mel had left. She fumbled with the objects in the bar area as she made herself a drink. Matt thought that wasn't a half bad idea and joined her. He settled with a cinnamon whiskey shot and downed it almost instantly before turning back around. Lucas was staring at him.

"What?"

When he got no answer, Audrey rejoined Matt but without hooking her arm through his. Matt didn't take this offensive. "Ooo someone developing a little crush?"

Matt refused to meet anyone eyes. Was that the right way to phrase this indescribable feeling he had? It wasn't love per se. That would be crazy. But he did feel a need to be alone with some music. Preferably happy music from his iPod. There was this feeling, of being high and fluttery. It wouldn't go away.

Matt mostly didn't meet Audrey eyes as he said, "Oh god men like that probably live at the gym. I wouldn't be surprised if there are Instagram photos of his woman and him expecting a child soon."

Matt subtly noticed their little group had broken up a bit. Natalie and Alyssa were talking about something girlish for all he knew. Lucas was in the middle but he didn't appear interested in whatever they were talking about. His focus was entirely on Matt and Matt tried his best to ignore him.

"I could totally ask him for you." Audrey's eyes looked a tad too bright about that. Like she was looking at Matt but more like through him. The distance in her eyes held a particular shine, maybe from the alcohol or a distant fantasy. Things could go two different ways, and for her it was likely a win/win situation. First she could be hoping he was straight, because that would mean she'd have the better chance. Second if he did bat for Matt's team, she might want to be there in the room to watch.

He considered telling her there was a possible third option. The man could be bisexual, but that would only add more fuel to fire. She might expect a threesome. This made Matt think of two options, would he go through with something like that? If it meant seeing and touching Mel, naked and quivering? Amazed at himself, he would probably go through with it.

But it was toxic to think that way. To change who he was, all over a guy he was hot for. He needed to discard the thought immediately.

Once he came out his head full of thoughts that bounced around instead his skull, he caught Audrey sipping her straw knowingly. Her eyes were cast upward and her cheeks were hallowed. The liquid was vanishing from the glass fast, but he wasn't her keeper. A part of him couldn't help but like this girl a little bit. That was kind of Matt's nature, to like certain people without discrimination. In his heart of hearts, he knew without a doubt, no one could come into his life and be anything quite like Lucas.

Matt turned his head to head to look towards Lucas but Lucas was serving himself a drink. There was a certain stiffness to his shoulders that told the world to fuck off. Matt was about to utter something, but Lucas gave a tiny jerk in body language. That never happened before. Lucas and Matt were always able to talk about what bothered each other. They rarely ever fought, and if they did, it was resolved in minutes.