Chapter Four

Matt finished his shift at 8. He was ate some leftovers from yesterday, the garlic bread wasn't as good as yesterday, and it was cold. He sipped some red wine and let himself take a nice long bath which lasted around 40 to 45 minutes. Instead of feeling relaxed like he normally did, he became a jumble of nerves. He turned on the TV and tried to watch a couple of game shows. His mind was too restless to guess all the right answers.

By 10:30, he couldn't take it anymore. He got ready by dressing casually enough in a plain black t shirt, dark blue jeans and running shoes. He meant to put on something less sporty but he did it without thinking about it. He was already in his 2015 Toyota Hybrid when he realized this. Since it was early September, the weather wasn't hot enough enough to use the air conditioner. And it wasn't cold enough to wear a jacket. He kept the passenger window cracked open so the air wouldn't get too stale, but also so he wouldn't get too cold.

It was a simple 5 to 10 minute drive from his house. There was hardly a soul on the street besides young adults in the age range of 21 to his own age. Some were getting off work judging by their tired expressions, and some were headed to work somewhere out of town. Matt usually liked to enjoy the view as he drove through the oldest part of Dorford, but not tonight. There was the usual fairy lights hanging over the streets, and the old buildings that gave a weird mix of going back in time.

Jan's House was operated by a couple, but Jan herself has passed away years ago. Matt heard enough through Lucas that the couple had been in their mid-twenties when they jokingly came up with the name. They were shocked when it actually happened. It was owned by a different person now, the original owner and husband of Jan (short for Janice) was an ailing old man now. Lucas easily took to all the original recipes; to the point it was almost scary. He also added a few of his own personal touches to the menu. Curt, the original owner tried to sign the place over to Lucas, but Lucas didn't want it. He liked his job and how things were.

Ever since Lucas started work, the customers came in by the dozen. Sometimes for brunch, but usually to celebrate the end of a productive day. It was located right next to The Firm, which a place that served things like pie, cakes and all things caffeine. Matt had never been in there, even though both places were almost in constant competition with each other. Matt loyally stayed away to show his loyalty his best friend, even though Lucas told Matt that he didn't give a shit.

Matt still knew better.

Matt parked in the portion that faced the street. He made himself wait 5 minutes before gathering up the courage to face whatever awaited him.

Lucas must've alerted the rest of staff that Matt was coming. The sign said CLOSED but the front door was unlocked. He pulled the door open and stepped inside the area where customers could sit anywhere they wanted. There were several booths to the wall out by the right. Stools that faced the front windows on each side of the front entrance. Small tables with chairs scattered in the center of the room. The kitchen was straight ahead through a versatile swinging set of double doors. Matt had to walk around the small stand where the cash register was kept, and there wasn't a person in sight.

"Happy birthday!"

Matt's heart gave a little jump, and so did his feet at the sound of Lucas's voice. Lucas had burst through the doors from the kitchen with a small cake, undoubtedly made in a triple layer yellow cake with real strawberries and whipped cream. Which was Matt's favorite since he was a child, and one of the first things Lucas had ever made by himself for Matt's 13th birthday.

"I'm so sorry I forgot. I've been doing double, sometimes triple shifts this past month," Lucas continued to approach, and the words were at the tip of Matt's tongue. The words just couldn't be said. They died long before they could reach his lips.