Chapter 37

The rest of the school day dragged on. Waiting for news clips, or something to give some sort of clue as to what is really happening. I decided to sit through Jeanine's class. Every chance she could, she made sure to shoot me a glare. I didn't stick around after that glass. Eric's class was awful, but not as bad as Jeanine's. I think he is still in denial, and trying to cope with his memory loss. 

FInally when the bell rang for the end of school, I ran outside and didn't wait for anyone. I need to see Caleb, before he gets into his car and drives off. 

I see his clean Audi in the parking lot, and a make a run for it. I run so fast, I almost trip a couple of times. I reach Caleb's car before most of the kids are in the parking lot. 

"Tris?" Caleb asks when he finally gets here. "Can you move please?" 

"No Caleb." I cross my arms. "We need to talk." 

"I don't have time...." He begins to reason. 

"You better make time Caleb." I pause to study his reaction. "You knew about mom, and didn't do anything?" 

"I knew about her Tris." He rolls his eyes. "I didn't have enough time to stop her. She had her mind set Tris. There was nothing Dad or I could do." 

"Don't bring dad into this too." I start to shout. "Do you understand the issue at hand? Mom could die Caleb. She could be disappear in the blink of an eye." 

"Nothing is going to happen." He reaches out to me. I can't tell if it is a comforting gesture, or just his way of making me move, so I push his arms out of the way. 

"No. There is something wrong. I got this phone call." I pause as Caleb's phone starts to ring. He pulls it out to look at it. 

"Answer it!" I yell at him. 

"I don't know the number." He retorts. 

"Whatever. When I say to, you say hello." I take the phone out of his hands and answer the call. I hear nothing but static. I hold the phone up to Caleb's ear and tell him to say hello. He just nods his head no. "Do it." I whisper through my clenched teeth. Caleb still remains quiet, so I take my free hand and grab Caleb's thumb. 

I begin to bend it backward into a lock until Caleb finally says hello. I take the phone back and hold it up to my ear. "Caleb?" A voice says. It isn't just any voice it's my mother's voice. 

"Yes." I respond. She will be able to tell it is me, but I don't want her to get into trouble for talking to me. This could be a bugged call. 

I hear a sigh as my mother figures out it's me. "I'm alright." I hear a man say something to my mother. I can't tell what he said. "Look Caleb, it's time to get the serums done alright?" 

"Mhm." I give the simple reply. "Where are you." 

"I can't tell you that. Just know I'm alright." She says. I can hear the struggle in her voice. Something is wrong. I hear the man again more clear. The distorted voice yells, "Hang Up!" 

"Mom, wait." I say. "What do I do?" 

"HANG UP!" The voice says again. 

"Listen Beatrice..." She begins. 

"Beatrice?" The man screams. "Where did Caleb go?" 

"Don't worry about me okay? I'll be okay. Keep everyone safe. Don't come after me. It will make it worse. Fix the problem from where you are." She hurries. I hear static as the phone is ripped from her hand. 

"Mom? Wait." I pause. "NO" 

"What did I tell you?" The man says. I hear some more static and then the click of a bullet loading into the barrel of a gun. "Beatrice Prior, you are to stay away. Put Caleb on now."