Chapter Five

William

I was lying on my bed when my phone buzzed.

It was Jake.

I sighed, answering. "What is it?" I asked with an annoyed tone.

Jake gulped nervously. "Uh, listen bro, I lost a bar bet and I need $500 dollars by Friday. Send a check, will ya?"

Click

I hollered angrily, throwing my phone down on the bed. Stupid Jake, I thought. Get your own money...

Jumping at the sound of my phone, I was relieved to see it was only my alarm to leave for work soon. I had to be at Angels and Kings by 1:00, and it was already 12:30. The walk was about fifteen minutes, so I had about ten minutes to get ready.

Putting on my black bar apron, I walked into the kitchen, whipping up a glass of water with a single ice cube floating at the top. Taking a sip, I looked at the calendar on the wall.

Mondays 1:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Tuesdays 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Wednesdays 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm

Thursdays 1:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Fridays 4:00 pm – 12:00 am

Saturdays 4:00 pm – 12:00 am

Sundays Free

Checking my watch, I saw I had five minutes left. Deciding to leave a bit early, I got my things, leaving my backpack behind. The glass cup, now half full, sat lonely on the counter, the water calm and still.

Locking the door behind me, I left my apartment.

I parked my car in front of the bar, which was behind a grey sidewalk. A red sign with white lights curved into the words ANGELS AND KINGS was high above the door.

The bar door swung open. Candi stood on the inside.

"Oh, hey, Will!" she exclaimed, grabbing me by the arm and pulling me into the bar. The small room was empty except for a single person sitting at a table in the back, drinking a glass of beer.

I let go of Candi's hand.

Candi smiled, her white teeth shining in the dim light. "Come on! We need to prep for one o'clock!"

I made a face. "Why?"

Candi walked behind the counter top, grabbing drinks off the shelves on the back bar. "Remember? The office people down the street come here after lunch. They always order specific drinks, and it's the best time of the day for the bar."

I nodded, barely understanding what Candi was saying. I mean, I could hear her and everything, but it wasn't like business was booming around this time. A few guys come in, have a small meeting, maybe a couple of drinks, and then they leave.

Not as exciting as you might think.

"William? Are you helping me or are you just gonna stand there?" Candi said, looking up at me from the floor. She had at least two bottles in each hand, getting back up on her feet. Getting out shot glasses and beer mugs, Candi began to pour drinks. "Let's see... they usually like scotch at this time of day..."

I sighed, walking over to the other side of the counter, wiping it down with my damp rag. It was slightly dirty, little blotches of alcohol everywhere.