Chapter Seven

William

I groaned, thinking, why did Candi have to go to that stupid party? Not only could she get hurt, but now I have to work her shift!

My phone buzzed in my front pocket. I took it out as I sat on a bar stool, surprised to see a text from Candi.

can u give me a ride home

I felt nerves run throughout my body as my stomach sunk a little. Candi was in trouble, and she needed my help.

Looking around the bar, I wasn't surprised to see the quiet old man guarding his glass of beer over in the corner was still here.

Taking my apron off and throwing it onto the counter top in front of the stools, I glanced at the guy nursing his drink. "Sorry, we're closing early."

Impatiently waiting for him to hobble out the door, I got out my keys, ready to lock the doors. Once the old man was stumbling down the sidewalk, I went outside, turning the key through the lock on the door.

Running to my car, I got out my phone again after it vibrated.

Will?

take me home please

I jumped into the driver's seat, jamming my keys in the car. I wonder why Chase can't take her back to his house, I thought, then realized, he's probably too drunk to even see. And, knowing Candi, I can tell she won't drive even if she only had a sip of alcohol.

Backing out onto the empty road, I began to drive. I started to text Candi, making sure I was also watching the road.

I asked her where she was – 201 Meadow Lane.

I asked her if she was okay – she is scared.

I asked her if she was still inside the house – she is on the porch next to a couple making out.

I asked her if she wanted to go to her house – she doesn't want to be around Chase.

I paused at this, shocked.

Then, I asked her where she wanted to be driven to – she said anywhere but there.

I put down my phone, turning onto Meadow Lane. Slowing down, I looked at all of the addresses.

To the left was 200. To the right was 201.

I drove onto the empty driveway, not caring if they got angry at me. Hurrying out of the car, I looked around the porch, which wrapped around the entire house.

I immediately saw Candi, sitting on the cement floor next to a bench, which had a boy and a girl kissing on it. She was hugging her knees, and she looked scared.

I could hear music blasting from inside the house. Some rap song I've never heard was playing loudly, but it was a bit muffled from outside.

I hustled over, sprinting down the grass until I found myself standing in front of Candi.

I got onto a knee, putting my hand on her shoulder.

"Candi?" I said quietly, praying that she would answer me.

Candi looked up a little, her head moving off her knees. "Thanks for coming," she whispered, smiling a little.

After helping her up, I got her into the car, placing her in the passenger seat. I remember wishing I had a backseat so I could put her there so she could lie down.

Backing out of the driveway, I looked over my shoulder, careful not to hit any drunk idiots roaming on the street. I saw a few tossing a football back and forth on the sidewalk, but I didn't see them behind my car.

Ready to leave the neighborhood, I looked over to Candi, who was fast asleep already.

Flicking on the light, I carried Candi inside, shutting the door behind me with my leg. Setting her on the couch in the living room, I watched as her eyes slowly came open, squinting a little.

"Will? What are you doing in my house?" she asked, clearly not remembering that she asked to take me to my apartment, "Chase! CHASE!!!" she began to scream, like she was being kidnapped or something.

"You were at that party, remember? You didn't want to stay, but you didn't want me to take you to your house." Then, just to be safe, I added, "don't worry. Just go to sleep and don't think about Chase."

She nodded, looking more calm. "You brought me to your apartment?" she asked drowsily, closing her eyes again. Though she was asleep and probably wasn't thinking straight, I swear I heard her whisper, "Chase wouldn't do that."

I turned off the lights, trudging to my bed and falling asleep in a matter of seconds...

I woke up at 4:03 in the morning to the sound of someone in the kitchen.

My first thoughts jumped to a break-in, that some bastard was crouching in my apartment right at this second. But then I realized that I would've heard someone knocking down a door or something.

Candi, I thought carelessly, rolling over in my bed. She probably just got a glass of water.

But something stopped me from falling asleep again. Right as I closed my eyes, I heard a quiet sob from the kitchen.

My eyes flashed open. Oh my god... is she okay?

I practically leaped out of my bead like some kind of ninja, landing on the hardwood floor. My elbows groaned in pain, but I forced my weight on them as I got onto my knees, getting back up on my feet.

Bursting through the door into the living room, I ran to the archway that separated this room from the kitchen.

Running into the kitchen, I looked around for Candi. I expected her to have cut herself on a knife or had dropped a glass or something, but she was nowhere to be seen.

Going around the kitchen island in the middle of the room, I gasped when I found Candi crouched against the back of it, crying. She was hugging her knees, not moving. Her pink hair was almost completely covering her face, but I could still see the tears streaking her pale skin.

Without saying a word, I sat down next to Candi. There is always something about the silence at night that you don't want to break it.

Placing my left hand over her shoulder, I let her body fall into my arms, holding onto her.

Her whole upper body was shaking.

I've known Candi for at least two years and I've never seen her do this.

I hope... I thought, smoothing her hair my free hand, I hope she'll be okay...