Chapter Thirty Seven

William

I was right – the weather did delay our flight. We took off at 7:39 pm, half an hour later than everyone thought.

Sitting closer to the window, I closed my eyes as we soared through the air. A flight attendant walked through the aisle, offering drinks to people. I declined politely, looking out the window.

We were above the clouds now, which were thin and small. Candi was asleep beside me in the window seat. Her hair was swept back behind her shoulders against the headrest of the chair.

The sun was setting. I thought about waking Candi so she could see the beauty, but then realized that she needed her rest. By the time we got back, sometime around 10:00 pm, we'd have to eat and go straight to bed. Candi and I were waking up early tomorrow to go to the beach, and we were both very excited.

Finally, I thought, closing my eyes, a chance to forget about everything for a while...

I woke up with a burning sensation in my head, like a thousand wasps were stinging my brain. Crying out, I opened my eyes. Candi was asleep next to me. The window to my right showed a dark sky. Checking the time, I was surprised that it was already 9:49 pm. Just thirty minutes or so, I thought to myself, clutching my forehead with my left hand and the side of my head with the right.

A calm, young voice asked, "sir, are you alright?"

I looked up to see a young female flight attendant standing in the aisle, her face just a foot or two away from mine. Jumping a little, I felt sweat forming on my skin.

"Just a bad headache," I said, my voice calm, like there was nothing wrong with me. But there was something wrong. My

(life was in danger because of the Devil)

mind was perfectly sane.

I was perfect.

I didn't

(have the right to live)

belong in the crazy house.

The flight attendant put on a smile. "Would you like a glass of water? Aspirin?"

I nodded before I could even think, sending the attendant away with that one nod.

That one fucking nod.

That piece of shit, no good nod that kept me from jumping out the window.

(Suicide will end your headache. Yes, sir, it will! Step right up folks! Step right up and watch William Harker jump out of a fucking plane window! Better yet, burn the whole fucking plane to the ground! Kill everyone! KILL THE WHOLE GODDAMN WORLD!)

Shaking my head, I covered my eyes with my hand, wishing it could be

(as dark as my soul)

darker.

The thoughts, the random thoughts that nearly drove me to insanity back in Miami, were returning. And so were the Demons.