Chapter Forty Three

William's Past (Part Two)

Doctor Liu sat across from patient #53201 – William Harker, a smart, curious four year old who was first brought in by his mother Mandy. Doctor Liu eyed his mother's chest sometimes while she was reading a magazine in the lobby or when she smiled at her son. Mandy was only twenty four years old, much younger than Doctor Liu, who was two weeks from forty.

Doctor Liu, was in his office with the boy. The room had been silent for ten minutes now, and Matthew knew he had to speak.

He cleared his throat, sitting up in his short chair. "Good morning, Will."

The patient's head, which had been hanging down the whole time, suddenly shot up. A frown was fixed onto his handsome, pale face. "Don't call me that," he barked, yet his voice sounded soft.

Matthew cocked his head a little. "I'm sorry. What would you like to be called?"

Silence. Finally, the child spoke. "William."

Dr. Liu lifted the corners of his mouth a bit. "Okay, William." Getting up, he walked over to the filing cabinet, took his file, then strolled back to William. "Is it true that you drew these?" Opening the folder, Matthew took out several papers with dark, scribbled drawings.

The boy nodded.

Matthew raised his eyebrows, flipping through the drawings. They were very good, especially for a boy as young as he was. "Why did you draw these?"

William pondered for a second, then looked at Dr. Liu right in the eyes. "I've seen them before," he whispered in a low voice, his dark brown eyes staring into Matthew's soul, "and they've seen me."

Suddenly, the door opened loudly. Matthew jumped, gasping. William didn't move a centimeter.

Nurse Chilton smiled awkwardly. He ducked to get under the low doorway, then stood up straight once under the roof. "Um, Doctor Liu, they want you in room 404 in five minutes."

Checking his silver watch, Dr. Liu widened his eyes. William's appointment ended ten minutes ago.

In the lobby, Mandy waited, reading a magazine on the black couch near the door. When she looked up and saw her son, she smiled as he ran towards her, a big grin on his face.

"I suggest you go to see a psychiatrist," Dr. Liu offered, eyes on Mandy's upper chest. Then, looking into her eyes, he added, "you may want to check him for Fregoli's Delusion."

Mandy smiled, shook the doctor's hand, and walked up to the front desk with her son by her side, the two holding hands.

But Matthew knew something was special about that boy.

Something special...

Two years crept by. William's first day of grade one was over, and the boy now sat in the backyard with his new friend Lilly, whom he had met back in first grade. She had moved to London from South Carolina.

The two were laughing, sitting under the Mulberry tree near the back fence. They told each other their best jokes and talked about ideas.

"When I grow up," Lilly started, gazing dreamily at the cloudless sky, "I wanna be a writer."

Smiling, William agreed, "me, too." A light brown wren flew across the sky, chirping. He uncrossed his legs, making them stick out straight in front of him. Slowly, he stretched forward, his nose touching his knees.