Chapter Forty Five

11:29 pm. Candi and I were watching The Exorcist on DVD, sharing a bowl of microwave popcorn. We sat on my bedroom floor in front of the computer monitor, which I had adjusted so we wouldn't have to crane our necks up to watch.

Neither of us said a word. Candi and I were both exhausted from our long day at the cold, windy beach. It was November 14th, and neither of us had big plans coming up soon. Both of us knew that, until Christmas season, we could relax.

Candi screamed as Regan MacNeil's head turned all the way around. Clutching at the blanket the two of us shared, Candi looked at my face, which was fixed on the screen. I hardly noticed her eyes towards me until I looked back down to get some more popcorn, catching her head facing my way.

We both burst out laughing, Candi tossing a white, fluffy piece of popcorn into her mouth.

I smiled, looking into her beautiful grey eyes.

William

Everything going on around me seemed to blur

kill her

except for her. And... something about her eyes... They reminded me of Lilly's.

or we will...

Fuck off, I thought in my head.

Another laugh came out, right as Candi sat up, brushing her pink hair out of her face, revealing a smile, complimented by her small, pearly white teeth.

We finished the movie later and headed to bed. Candi started towards the couch, then paused, turning her head around to face me.

"Goodnight," was all she said, turning around and crawling onto the couch, lying behind the hanging white sheet.

"Goodnight," I replied, turning back towards my room and trudging sleepily as I checked my watch. 12:19 pm.