Chapter Fourteen

Chase

I leaned against the dumpster, trying to get my ass off the cold, wet ground. It started raining about five minutes ago, and I was pretty soaked.

I'm such a dumbass, I thought, shaking my head. I'm so stupid. I should've taken Candi back to the house. Then she wouldn't have gotten away.

All of the sudden, a woman holding a bright yellow umbrella came around the corner of the alley. She had brown hair, which had been curled. It was starting to get wet in the cold rain, but she didn't seem to mind. A navy blue business uniform stuck to her body: a long sleeved shirt with a skirt.

"Are you alright?" she asked, he voice sounding posh and serious. Inspecting me like I was a rabid dog, she didn't try to hide the look of disgust crossing over her face. "My God, you're bleeding! Are you okay?!"

Before I could answer, she ran over, her black heels clacking on the pavement. Normally, I'd try to charm any woman I saw, but this girl wasn't like any other woman.

(Jane...)

She took out a white handkerchief from her brown, leather purse and wiped my face clean of blood. By the time she was done cleaning me, the handkerchief was completely red. It was hard to believe that it was once a crystal white.

I smiled a little as she helped me up. "Thank you," were the only word that crossed my mind, so I slurred them out.

She sniffed the air around me. "Are you drunk?"

I scoffed, my chin down. "No, I'm Chase."

Her thin lips curled up a little. "Jane." She held out her hand, and I shook it.

All of the sudden, I remembered everything. My dad, the farm, the ax... It all came back to me.

Jane's smile disappeared when she saw the horrified look on my face. In a curious tone, she asked, "are you meeting someone?"

I smirked a little, stepping away from the dumpster. "No, no."

Jane grinned, chuckling creepily. In a raspy voice, she leaned in and whispered, "good."

All of the sudden, I felt a force pushing me to the ground. I couldn't see anything; I had blacked out.

I heard Jane's voice from when we were little, the voice of my first love.

"It's all in our head, Chase..."