Chapter Forty Nine

It turned out that it had just been a squirrel screwing around with the electrical wires powering Wood Heights.

For a moment, though, I thought that

(God)

the Devil was coming for me.

Meanwhile, driving in the car, I turned right, cruising along the left side of the Starbucks where I worked. My small black car was alone on the road.

Everyone's nearly gone, I thought, looking around for people. A white truck drove on another street up ahead, flashing in and out of existence. For one second it was there, driving steadily. But, once I couldn't see it, the truck was out of my vision, out of my mind.

Out of my matter.

8:49 am. Ten minutes until my shift started.

I pulled into the empty parking lot. Not a single car in sight.

Walking into the small building, I didn't see anybody behind the counter. Don't worry, I thought to myself, tightening the strings behind me on my green work apron, you're early. Someone will show up soon.

Five minutes passed.

Ten minutes.

Half an hour.

At 9:46 am, I decided to send them an email. After all, I was leaving for New York soon, and I'd have to quit my job sometime.

Dear Mrs. Quell

I'm moving to New York as of November 16th. I hereby quit my job at Starbucks. I enjoyed working here, though it was only for a short time. I thank you dearly for hiring me in the first place and giving me the experience you can only get by making people coffee and treats.

I'm sorry that this is such a late notice, but I just got the email from New York this morning. I'm going to miss you all very much.

Sincerely,

William Harker

I pressed the send button, shut my laptop, and ran out of the Starbucks, setting the alarm and flipping the sign from OPEN to CLOSED, not that it mattered. Nobody was going to be coming to Starbucks anytime soon.

Jumping into my car, I left the parking lot for the last time, taking off my apron and throwing it into the passenger seat.