Chapter Fifty Five

That's when somebody finally noticed me. A young man, walking a short, black Labrador came running over.

"Please," I sobbed, "she's dying." Looking back down to Candi, I let out a sigh, not wanting to say goodbye to her.

The man came running over with his dog, who was running ahead of him. "Mister, are you okay?" Once he was close enough to me, he knelt down, trying to help me up, completely ignoring Candi's body in my arms.

The clouds shadowed the park once more, snow floating from the heavens. A chilly breeze brushed both me and Candi's hair at the same time. The bloody strands remained still, while the rest brushed across her face beautifully.

"Can't you see her? She's dying! I was standing with her when she started bleeding from her chest!" I noticed I was breathing quickly. My mind was tingling so much that it felt like my brain was on fire.

My blood covered watch changed to 2:42 just as the man dialed 911 on his Samsung. "Don't worry, I'll get help," he said in a soothing voice.

It was the same voice teachers and students used on my when I was a child.

It was the same voice people use when you're crazy.

"No! You have to answer me: Do you see her?" I demanded, lifting Candi's body slightly. Snowflakes were now beginning to form over her pink hair, frosting her skin.

The man put a hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry, help is coming." He had on the same smile, the smile that chuckled and said, "shut the fuck up, stupid, and let the sane guys do all the work."

I tried to move, but Candi's body was weighing me down. It wasn't that she was heavy, but her body covered my legs, which were tingling from Candi's weight cutting off my circulation. I couldn't get up without rolling her off of me.

And I could never do that. Even though she was dead, I just couldn't disrespect her like that. I couldn't leave her here alone.

Sirens in the distance, slowly growing louder. They're coming for me, I thought. I wanted to run away, to leave with Candi, for her to still be alive, to hear her laugh just one more time.

But I was as frozen as the cold earth below me. With snowflakes melting in my hair, I let out a shout – a shout dedicated to my parents, to Jake, to Lilly... but mostly to Candi.

My angry hollers followed my cries of rage. "YOU SONS OF BITCHES! YOU KILLED HER! YOU KILLED THE LOVE OF MY LIFE! YOU DIRTY BASTARDS! YOU FUCKING-"

Suddenly, the man knocked me out with one solid punch.

And all I could see was darkness.

My world was once again black and white.