Chapter Sixteen

I felt so uncomfortable sitting in that room. The light was dim, a single light bulb hanging above our heads, swinging back and forth so the shadows hiding in the corners danced.

Candi sat outside the room. She had been questioned before me by Chief Walker, the woman who spotted us on Chase's roof.

Now that I think about it, it was a really stupid idea, trying to get out of the house by going onto the roof. Anyone could've seen us – neighbors, cops, Chase...

I shook my head. No, Chase is missing. None of us have seen him and the police seem to be concerned. But... what the hell happened to him?

Suddenly, Chief Walker entered the room, shutting the heavy brown door behind her. She sat down across from me, elbows on the table.

"William Harker," she started, looking at the uniform that came down to her wrists, "age 25, born in London." She looked up at me, her eyes burning into mine. "We'd like to know a bit more."

There was something about the chief that I didn't trust, but I ignored the feeling. "What do you need to know?"

Walker cleared her throat, adjusting her police cap. "Where do you live?"

I remembered this morning, running from my apartment. I closed my eyes, ridding the memory. "Wood Heights."

"Room?"

Room?! I thought, a bit appalled by the question. But she was the chief and I didn't want to cross her. "Room 202."

A grin slid onto her face, showing her large teeth, which had the slightest yellow tint. "Workplace?"

I shuffled in my chair, which was hard plastic. "Starbucks. I used to be a waiter at Angels and Kings." Then, I slipped, "until I quit."

She cocked her head to the side. Uh-oh.

"Why?"

I looked away from her. Something about her eyes... they almost looked red...

"Um, the manager was really bad," I blurted, trying to forget that bar. It was the place where Chase hit Candi, when he nearly raped her...

If I hadn't been there, I wondered, shaking my head. No, everything's fine. Candi is fine. Chase is gone.

Walker took out a notepad, writing things down. "Uh-huh... Okay, things look good. One more thing – what grade were you in?"

I frowned. "What grade was I in?"

She didn't smile. "What grade were you in when the children ignored you?"

I froze. "Excuse me?" I couldn't believe she was asking me this.

She repeated, without breaking eye contact, "When the children were afraid of you. What grade were you in?"

"Kindergarten," I answered, hoping my skin hadn't turn too white.

Walker wrote all of this down, then leaned across the table. With her nose just inches from mine, she growled, "wait here."

She stood up from her chair, heading towards the door.

But, before she left, I piped up, "what are you going to do about Chase?"

Chief Walker stopped in her tracks, facing the dark brown door. "Who?" she asked, her voice monotone and plain.

I continued. "Chase Andrews. He's been missing for days."

Chief Walker turned around very, very slowly. Once she was completely facing me, she slowly turned back around in the direction she came from.