Chapter Forty Eight

My pounding head woke me up.

I found myself lying in my bed, completely covered in my white blankets. Looking around in the dark room, I started to wonder if everything was just a dream – if Arianna had never tried to kill me, that no one had attacked Candi, that I hadn't spoken to

(God)

the Devil...

I stayed there, lying on my back for what felt like hours. But, when I checked my watch for the second time since I woke up, it had only been fifteen minutes.

My stomach rumbled. Ripping off the white blanket, I looked down at my red boxers.

The same one from

(last night)

the dream.

Rubbing my forehead, I swung my legs over the bed. Shifting my weight onto my bare feet, I felt my knees lock, then unlock. Cringing, I sighed, shifting towards the door, grabbing my blue robe off of the floor by the corner and slipping it on, shivering.

Making my way through the living room towards the couch, I looked at the white sheets, not sure if Candi was still asleep.

Suddenly, I felt hand grip onto my shoulders. Screaming, I jumped, leaping to the left.

Hearing Candi's laughter behind me made me smile. Her giggles reminded me of diamonds twinkling at dusk, like angels soaring through the heavens, like shattered glass piercing through the thin air, bursting into beautiful shards.

Turning around quickly, I grinned, looking at Candi's messy pink hair, which hadn't touched a brush since the morning before. The grey in her eyes seemed to shine when she laughed, one of the parts that made me love her.

Backing up a little, turning to the left as she strolled, Candi started to go into kitchen, closing in on the island counter, which held two plates of pancakes. A pan still sat on the stove, a half-cooked pancake sitting in the hot center.

"I made breakfast!" she exclaimed, starting to smile again. Moving over to the pantry, she got out the container of maple syrup, setting it between our two plates.

Licking my lips, I sat down on the stools attached to the outside of the counter. Taking a bite, I closed my eyes for a moment. When was the last time I had pancakes? I thought, checking the time.

The small clock above the stove read 7:18 am. I gasped a little, remembering that I had to be at work by nine. Picking up the pace, I quickly ate my breakfast. Once finished, I washed my plate and jogged over to my room.

Candi was still on her second pancake (she had given both of us two pancakes). I waved a little, then muttered, "work at 9:00."

Somehow, Candi understood my words through my dry, raspy voice. I need some water, I thought, pursing my dry lips.

Walking back into my room, feeling nauseous from the pancakes, I checked my email before getting dressed.

I had two messages. One was from the prison Jake was staying at.

Dear Mr. Harker,

Your brother has been reported as missing from Westchester County Jail. Our security guards are searching the building while New York policemen and women are currently searching the area.

Once we find Jacob Harker, he will earn another six months of prison.

If you have any idea where your brother is, please contact us immediately.

The second message was also from New York. Once I was finished reading it, I gasped and called Candi's name.

To Mr. William Harker of Miami, Florida

After a careful decision, we have decided to accept you in the Therapy Center of New York. Please contact us as soon as possible for information about our work.

We hope to see you at our office as early as Monday, November 17th. You can also reach us by calling (212) 725-0192 or (914) 946-4700.

We have open positions at several locations in both Manhattan and Westchester. We know you will be an amazing psychiatrist among with the others, who will gladly show you around the building.

Your salary will start off at $240,000 annually. If you have any questions, please contact us via email or phone call.

Sincerely,

Ana Macias

Candi immediately rushed into the room when I called for her. A worried look was on her face, until it melted away with reassurance. I assumed that it was because she saw I was okay, but I couldn't be sure.

"What is it?" she asked, noticing my computer screen. Moving past the bed, Candi headed over to my computer desk, reading the email.

Before she could even start, I blurted, "I got the job. I'm going to New York to be a psychiatrist."

All of the worry, all of the fear, everything from last night and the mess about the Demons was gone. Candi's expression could only be described as glowing, a silence gasp over her lips.

"Will! That's amazing!" she exclaimed, running into my arms, hugging me tightly. Her face buried somewhere around my right shoulder, her arms wrapping around my whole body, fingertips touching each other on my upper back.

Keep in mind, I was wearing boxers and a bathrobe when his happened. And I wasn't sure if Candi was going to kiss me or not.

But it came to the point where I wanted her to kiss me. I wanted her so bad I thought it would kill me.

And she probably would've if the power hadn't gone out at that exact moment.