The Dinner & The Discussion

Jake's POV

As Chris marveled at the surprise King and I had orchestrated, a warm satisfaction settled within me, knowing that I had succeeded in creating a moment that brought joy to the man I loved.

Flashback

In the apartment, Chris excused himself to the bathroom, leaving me alone with King.

"You ready?" King inquired with enthusiasm.

"Always," I chuckled.

"So, what's your surprise for him?"

I quickly covered King's mouth, ushering him out of the apartment.

"You idiot, it's a surprise if you remember, and you're talking out loud," I scolded him, a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"Sorry, dude. Just excited that my best friend has a girlfriend. Ooops... Boyfriend, I should say," King chuckled.

"Yeah, let's plan it out."

END

And the plan unfolded flawlessly.

"I love you, Chris," I confessed.

"I love you too, Jake," he reciprocated with a gentle kiss, tiptoeing to meet my lips.

"Shall we eat?" I suggested.

"Yes, I'm really hungry, you know," Chris replied with a charming smile.

Helping him pull out his chair, I couldn't help but admire the adorable sight of my baby Chris. Yet, the real surprise was yet to unfold.

I gracefully served the food, pairing it with a generous pour of Californian red wine into Chris's glass. He eagerly gulped it down, resembling a beggar thirsting for a refreshing drink.

Taking my seat in front of him, I found myself captivated by his eyes—those dazzling orbs exuding happiness due to the orchestrated surprise.

"So, why did you do all of this?" Chris inquired, curiosity lighting up his eyes.

"Nothing, I just want you to look at this." I handed him two papers, a secret yet to be unveiled.

He examined them in silence, glancing between the papers and my eyes. Excitement bubbled within him as he discovered the surprise.

"Oh my God!!! Jake, this is the place where I want to go. France! It's my dream to be there," he exclaimed, leaping up and down like an excited child.

A genuine smile graced my lips at his unfiltered joy.

He paused and kissed me, expressing his gratitude.

"So, where did you get the money?" Chris's curiosity persisted.

"What money?" I feigned innocence, a playful glint in my eyes.

"Of course, how did you buy the tickets?" he probed further.

"Chris, I've got to tell you something."

Silence hung in the air, anticipation building.

"I AGREED TO BE THE NEXT VAMPIRE LEADER," I disclosed, the words escaping my lips in a rush.

"What? I didn't catch what you said," Chris responded, seeking clarification.

"I worked for it," I fibbed, concealing the harsh reality of the agreement with Balthazar.

I couldn't bring myself to burden Chris with the truth, not when the alternative was a much harsher fate. The thought of him being tortured or killed because of my choices was unbearable.

"I love you, Jake! I'm the happiest man in this world because I have you."

"Me too, Chris, me too," I replied, the words carrying the weight of unspoken truths.

"When will we leave?"

"Tomorrow, Chris," I revealed, uncertain of what awaited us on the journey ahead.