Easy Street

This chapter is a little short but I hope it makes up for the wait. 

A hand gently runs along the top of my head and I shift from my sleep, coming out of my hazy thoughts. 

My hand tucked under my pillow grips the emergency knife that Negan gave me. 

I turn and ready to lung when a wrist grabs my hand and I finally shake off sleep enough to open my eyes. 

Sherry is looking down at me. She's not dressed very much, in negligee, probably coming from Negan's room. 

"Sherry?" I mumble, a little confused on what she was doing in here. 

"I'm sorry to wake you, Andrew." She whispers softly, hand continuing to run along the top of my head. "I needed to get away from the others." 

I'm still half asleep, so it takes a few seconds for her words to register. I shuffle over a few feet to leave room and sleepily pat the space next to me on the bed. "Lay down." 

Sherry lets out a chuckle and eventually does lay down next to me. Her body is warm against mine and is like a giant heated pillow. I snuggle up against her, leaving her issues for tomorrow because right now, I was tired. 

 I am hit with a brief longing for Sherry to be Maggie so that I can cuddle with my Ma again. 

I realize a few minutes later that Sherry wasn't falling asleep and gently crane my head to look up at her. 

"What's wrong?" I question. 

Her eyes flicker down to look at me from where she was staring at the wall. 

"Do you ever want to leave, Andrew?" She questioned in a hushed tone. 

"Leave?" I echo, waking up a little. "And go where?" 

"Anywhere. Do you just want to up and go and leave this behind?" Sherry resumes petting my hair. 

"I'd like to go back to Alexandria and see my brother. Or Hilltop and see Daddy's grave. Yeah, I would like to leave." I nod. 

"Would you come with me if I left?" Sherry questioned. 

I'm suddenly awake, all sleep gone as I shift to sit up. "Leave? Are you leaving?" 

A smidge of panic colors my tone. Sherry simply moves to cuddle me next to her. 

"No," I can tell she's lying through her teeth and that part upsets me. 

"If you leave, take me with you." I tell her. She was one of the only people that made this place bearable along with the other wives, Dwight and Martin. 

"What makes you want to leave?" I question. 

"I'm one of Negan's wives." Sherry whispers. "But before that, I was Dwight's." 

"You were married to Dwight?" There was always some sort of connection there but I never understood it. 

"Me, him, and my younger sister bolted one day and ran as far as we could. The journey ended in my sister's death, our recapturing, the burning of Dwight's face and my forced marriage with Negan." Sherry held me a little tight as I mull over the information that I was given. 

"You'd leave again?" I question. 

"By myself." Sherry nods. "Tina was bitten the last time I went beyond these walls." 

"Would you take me with you?" I question. "I can protect myself, but..."

Sherry was silent for a while and for a moment, I was afraid that she had fallen asleep. 

"I'll take you with me if I can. If I have time, I'll go." Sherry finally replies. 

A burst of warmth fills my chest and I close my eyes once again. 

"If you get the time, you should explore cell block C." She whispered before falling asleep. 

Per Sherry's words, I ride my trike down to the forbidden part of Sanctuary

Per Sherry's words, I ride my trike down to the forbidden part of Sanctuary. I didn't bother getting dressed up and wore my pajamas. Lil' Lucy drags behind me as I ride.

Negan was explicit that I was never to enter these parts. He told me that it wasn't safe. 

But riding down these deserted halls, I see no dangers. 

As I approach the section that Sherry instructed me too, I hear distant music. 

'We're on easy street, And it feels so sweet, Cause the world is but a treat, When you're on easy street '

It gets louder as I enter section C.

'And we're breaking out the good champagne, We're sitting pretty on the gravy train, And when we sing every sweet refrain, Right here on easy street'

There is a speaker sitting on the floor right outside one of the cells. I can see the single 'repeat' button is smashed down, broken. 

'It's our moment in the sun, And it's only just begun, It's time to have a little fun, We're inviting you to come and see why you should be, On easy street'

I get off my trike, moving to haul Lil' Lucy onto my shoulder. I took her with me just in case something happened. 

I move to stand in front of the single cell, the only one in use if the lock is anything to go by. 

I spot the keys on a hook nearby. 

They're out of my reach, but Lil' Lucy catches them on one of her nails and I move back in front of the cell. 

Sherry wouldn't of sent me here if he was dangerous. 

'Yea we got a front row seat, O, to a life that can't be beat, Right here on easy street, It's our moment in the sun, And it's only just begun. It's time to have a little fun, And we're inviting you to come, and see why you should be, On easy street'

The key takes a little forcing into the rusted lock and I tuck the keys onto my waistband of my pajamas before gripping Lucy tighter. 

I take a deep breath. It was now or never. 

With all my weight, I heave the heavy metal door open and light shines into the room. 

Burrowed in the corner, a lump looks up at me through limp greasy brown hair. 

I recognize those eyes as they peer at me. 

"Daryl?!" 

'Yea we got a front row seat, O, to a life that can't be beat, Right here on easy street ,Cause the world is but a treat, When you're on easy street, 'Cos the world is but a treat, When you're on easy street'