Better Angels

My leg was healing and Hershel had removed the splint to taken a look at it. 

"It's healing well. Stay off of it for a few more weeks. How's your teeth?" He questioned. 

I open my mouth and Hershel takes a look at the missing gaps of where I had knocked two of my lower teeth out. 

"Healing good. Your hands?" 

He unwinds the bandages on my hands and takes a look at them. 

"Great, you don't need bandages for them anymore. I'm going to wrap your leg, you don't need the splint but I want you off of it. Got it?" Hershel tells me.

I nod and Hershel rewraps my leg. 

Hershel carries me back to the living room where he sets me on the couch. 

"Can you see if Carl wants to play?" I question and he nods. 

Carl comes into the house a few seconds later. 

Ever since Morales and his family left, Carl became closer with me and Sophia. 

Since her death, Carl didn't have anyone his age to play with. I was the only other kid. 

"Wanna play Uno?" Carl questioned excitedly as he bounced on his feet. 

"That's in the RV." I tell him. "Remember Dale's rules. The games stay in the RV."

"Well.... Dale's not here." Carl mutters. "Hey."

I look up at him to see that his face had brightened. 

"How about I carry you?" 

I laugh. "Carl, I'm tiny, so are you. You can't carry me." 

Carl huffs as he moves over to me. 

"Carl?" 

I let out a laugh as Carl wrapped his arms around my midsection and lifted me a few inches off the ground. 

"Okay, okay." I giggle as Carl laughs. 

"How do you want to do this?" I ask as I get my laughter under control. 

Carl thought for a second before kneeling down. 

"Here, get on my back." 

I lean forward and get on his back. Carl hooks his arms under my butt, hoisting me up higher on his back. 

We're laughing hysterically all the way out to the RV. 

People we pass give us funny looks and even start to giggle as Carl stumbles over the uneven ground. 

"Randall's gone

"Randall's gone." 

T-dog's voice was frantic as he burst through the doors to the house. 

I look up from the game I was playing with Carl. We had moved into the house to play Go Fish with a pack of cards that Glenn gave me from his run. 

Panic ensued as the men ran out of the house to the barn. 

"What's going on?" I question as Carl stands up with a determined look on his face. 

"The boy from the barn is gone." Carl explained, placing his hat on his head. 

The woman were rushing around, in and out of the house as everyone panicked. 

"We have to go find him." Carl mumbles, sliding a gun into his waistband. 

"Carl..." I'm confused when Carl moves closer to where I sat on the couch and crouched down. 

"Get on my back." He tells me. 

I climb onto his back and he wraps his arms under my knees to keep me up. 

"Where are we going?" I question as Carl takes me out of the house by the backdoor. 

"To find my dad." Carl tells me. 

We go into the woods where Carl follows the sounds of yells. 

"Get my gun." Carl instructs and I pull the gun from his waistband. 

"Pull the little switch to make the safety go off." Carl instructs and I do as told, flicking the switch. 

"Pull the top back to cock it." He explains as he starts running towards the yells. 

I struggle for a few seconds to get the top back all the way. 

"Keep your finger off the trigger until you wanna shoot." He yells over the commotion as we enter the clearing. 

Rick was panting on the ground, Shane by him.

There was a knife in Shane's body as Rick cried over his body, distraught. 

"The gun!" Carl cries and I raise the gun. 

Carl places me on the ground, pulling the gun from my hands. 

I watch on the damp grass as Carl raises his gun at his father, Shane's body moving in the background. 

"Carl-" Rick tries, raising his hands. 

One gunshots goes off and I watch as Shane's body hits the ground. 

Rick rushes over to us.

He pulls Carl to his body with his left hand while he pulls me to him with his right. 

"Thank god." Rick kept whispering in my ear.

He just sat and held us while I looked at Shane's body in the background. 

"Did you kill him?" I mumble. 

"I had too." Rick tells me. "I didn't want to but I had to make a grown up decision." 

I nod as Rick stands up. He pulls me onto his hip while he wraps his unoccupied arm around Carl and we head back to the house.